Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Aggressive big-stack move or donky play? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=383183)

Rocco 11-22-2005 04:52 AM

Aggressive big-stack move or donky play?

Having the biggest stack gives you a great opportunity to bully around, especially when nearing the bubble. I don't know how you guys play the big stack, but I tend to get aggressive with my good hands, raising pre-flop limpers a lot etc etc...

In one of yesterday's $5 R+A tourneys at Party I witnessed a crazy big-stack. Or is this standard aggressive play to you?

Blinds: 750/1500
Players left: ~140
Players paid: ~120

UTG+1: T35000
CO: T20000
SB (big-stack): T60000
BB: 18000

SB's hand: Q9o

UTG+1 limps and so does CO. SB completes and BB checks. Flop comes J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB does not have a club as far as I remember (was of course browsing 2+2 while playing).

Action: Both blinds check... UTG+1 bets out 2/3 (4000)... CO folds... SB calls... BB folds

Turn: some low rag

Action: SB checks... UTG+1 bets 10000... SB goes all-in...

UTG+1 had been playing pretty solid poker as far as I'm concerned. Is this a standard move taking FE, bubble play closing in and the fact that UTG+1 could be on a flush draw or lay his hand down, into play?

HesseJam 11-22-2005 06:14 AM

Re: Aggressive big-stack move or donky play?

I would have gone all-in on the flop. UTG can only call with very strong hands here. On the turn, once UTG's 10 K are in, this move is bold because he has no FE.

Rocco 11-22-2005 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have gone all-in on the flop. UTG can only call with very strong hands here. On the turn, once UTG's 10 K are in, this move is bold because he has no FE.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that's what I thought too. Suppose SB goes all-in here on the flop, what hands do you call with? For the record, UTG+1 had K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (I was wrong in the OP, flop was J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) so he had TPGK and strong flush draw. UTG+1 called SB's turn all-in only to see a K hit the river...

So, the main question is what hands you would call an all-in with had SB made the move on the flop instead?

HesseJam 11-22-2005 10:01 AM

I'd be comfortable with a set. But I would certainly be enticed to call with TPGK and a flush draw to the 2nd nuts because I have him on a wide range. If it was an all-in by a solid opponent I would fold.