Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   2/4 Blind Steal from SB (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=394047)

weevil 12-08-2005 06:14 AM

2/4 Blind Steal from SB

Villian in BB is a typical 60/10/1/50wtsd 2/4 donk, will bet and raise a draw in any situation, but call down with any pair. Seems somewhat aware of blind steal situations.

Folded to me in the SB, I raise A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], villian 3-bets and I call.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I bet, villian raises, I call.

Turn: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I check, villain bets, I raise, he calls.

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I lead, he calls.

macdaddy991 12-08-2005 06:39 AM

Re: 2/4 Blind Steal from SB

I don't think you beat anything he calls with on the river. Your hand is very marginal, I would check fold the turn.

weevil 12-08-2005 06:49 AM

To clarify, the river bet is intended for value.

toss 12-08-2005 08:09 AM

I wouldn't have made it past the flop. When villain raises me I would have mucked right there. The board is just too ugly and theres a good chance villain either has a better Ace or paired his hand. He also has position and won't be giving you any free cards. If you wanted to showdown it should be call/call/call. All I see is Fancy Play Syndrome here. Especially after you bluff checkraise the turn and lead the river in desperation.

toss 12-08-2005 08:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To clarify, the river bet is intended for value.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you checkraised the turn for value?

weevil 12-08-2005 03:00 PM

And to protect my hand and charge his flush/overcard draws.

Notorious G.O.B. 12-08-2005 03:08 PM

You think he'll have queen high or worse and call over 50% of the time?

12-08-2005 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you protect your hand when you don't have a made hand? Also, you are never going to get someone to call that river bet with a hand that you can beat. If he was on a draw and missed, he folds. If he can beat you, he calls and takes down the pot.

I agree, you have to punish a player like that often, but not with this board. I doubt you are ahead, and if you are, your hand is extremely vulnerable. Once he raises the flop, I fold right there and wait for a better spot to go after this guy.

jackdaniels 12-08-2005 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you protect your hand when you don't have a made hand? Also, you are never going to get someone to call that river bet with a hand that you can beat. If he was on a draw and missed, he folds. If he can beat you, he calls and takes down the pot.

I agree, you have to punish a player like that often, but not with this board. I doubt you are ahead, and if you are, your hand is extremely vulnerable. Once he raises the flop, I fold right there and wait for a better spot to go after this guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked your post till the bolded line. You really shouldn't be looking to "get someone" unless you spot a weakness in their play. If I am reading it right (and possibly I am not), it seems like you are advocating he try to "get even with him later".

Ofcourse, if you meant "look for a better spot to duel with this bad player", I retract the above and concur.

12-08-2005 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked your post till the bolded line. You really shouldn't be looking to "get someone" unless you spot a weakness in their play. If I am reading it right (and possibly I am not), it seems like you are advocating he try to "get even with him later".

Ofcourse, if you meant "look for a better spot to duel with this bad player", I retract the above and concur.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I wasn't saying to attack this person in particular. I was just saying that in case this situation arose again. If you are going to steal someone's blinds who is that loose and will take hands that far(VPIP = 60, 50% to SD), you want to at least have a marginal hand that will punish his weak calls. If I had any of that hand (A5, A7, etc.), I may go aggressively at it, but certainly not with A high.