Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   lead flop or check/raise? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=307304)

iluzion 08-04-2005 12:35 AM

lead flop or check/raise?

villain here is 55/14/1.4

I lead the flop because if he has a better hand than me, I expect to be raised or reraised, and I'd rather put two bets in then reassess where I am on the turn than have to decide wether or not to put in a third when 3bet.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (7 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets

iluzion 08-06-2005 05:22 PM

Re: lead flop or check/raise?

Anyone with an opinion? Posted this a while ago and no one ever responded.

timprov 08-06-2005 05:26 PM

I like the bet. Not thrilled with the preflop almost-coldcall though.

einbert 08-06-2005 05:27 PM

I think not three-betting preflop is a pretty substantial mistake. For one thing, you are giving the BB tremendous odds to come into the hand.

The way you played it, I think I favor leading the flop. However, if UTG is the type to bet this flop into two people with like a PP &lt;JJ, checkraising might be a little better. Whatever happens it's going to be hard to get away from your hand.

Lmn55d 08-06-2005 05:38 PM

i think not 3betting preflop is a bigger mistake than anything you could do on the flop (other than fold)

Guy McSucker 08-06-2005 05:41 PM

If it's information you're after, I think the more expensive variety, where you check-raise and get 3-bet, is more reliable. Many PFRs will raise your flop bet whatever they hold.

Regardless, I think you should play your hand as if it's best, because it usually is. As well as having the nut one-pair you have a gutshot broadway draw. Play it to get the most money in the pot possible. I like a flop check-raise and turn lead most of the time. If your check-raise gets three-bet, you can wonder if you're losing, but don't fold.

Guy.

Redd 08-06-2005 05:42 PM

I think preflop is a raise-or-fold situation. The way it played out, I lead the flop since this is too coordinated of a board to trap button. Plus a middling pocket pair may check behind you here which really suck.

TomBrooks 08-07-2005 03:57 AM

I believe it is imperative to bet out because this board is drawish. If you get raised, you can slow down.

Edit: I concur with the posters who suggested 3-betting pre-flop.

David BB 08-07-2005 01:35 PM

Does everyone one really aggree that we must re-raise AQo out of position here?

Someone even called this a re-raise or fold situation which is silly imo. Calling is obviously better than folding.