Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   TV poker commentating is AWFUL. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=356573)

10-13-2005 01:30 AM

TV poker commentating is AWFUL.

anyone besides me find the commentating at both ESPN and WPT just AWFUL?

i mean it's really bad. "Boy how can he raise heads up with 2-3? oh he is either the craziest guy in the world or he's a champion!"

totally honestly, i watch it muted. i can't handle it. it's torture. i always start with the commentary, then after about 10 minutes i can no longer handle it.

what do you think?

benkahuna 10-13-2005 02:02 AM

Re: TV poker commentating is AWFUL.

I think you take the commenting too seriously.

Sometimes the commenting is spot on, sometimes it isn't. They have entertainment in mind as well as various theories related to poker to consider and sometimes they misapply the theory in an attempt to say something interesting. It's like any other commenting in any other spectator event.

I like a good laugh sometimes and I can do the thinking for myself about plays people make.

The worst mistake is that too often commentators take a results oriented approach.

I like the fact that they make these mistakes as it makes the game easier for me. If you want good commentary, watch the Full Tilt show. Otherwise, it's just like that Bad Religion song, "It's Only Entertainment."

ChuckyB 10-13-2005 03:08 PM

I was watching the WPT Borgata from season three this past weekend (its first broadcast in Canada). Mike Sexton made me want to bark. He was hyping David Williams "bold, aggressive" play heads up with Daniel Negreanu. Williams was pushing missed flops, and bottom pair when he had a big lead. Sexton kept saying what great poker he was playing.

Then Williams pushed into the wrong spot, and Sexton was all over him about how he was playing wrong.

Hey Sexton...you live by the sword, you die by the sword. That's the deal. If you make the money being aggressive, you'll lose it being aggressive. One move isn't good and the other bad. They're all part of a good or bad strategy.

Rduke55 10-13-2005 03:24 PM

Seriously?

Hauser_III 10-13-2005 04:37 PM

News at 11:00....

KSOT 10-13-2005 04:41 PM

I wouldn't listen to it myself, but sometimes they do share interesting facts or stories I'd never have known otherwise. Most of the time I'm just blocking them out mentally anyway.

MicroBob 10-13-2005 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mike Sexton made me want to bark.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this part of some kinky sex game?

Woof Woof Woof!!!!!

KSOT 10-13-2005 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Woof Woof Woof!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot to write 6 paragraphs [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

CrazyN8 10-13-2005 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
News at 11:00....

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

DyessMan89 10-13-2005 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Woof Woof Woof!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

Steve Chase 10-13-2005 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you want good commentary, watch the Full Tilt show.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where can I watch such Full Tilt show?

nath 10-13-2005 05:23 PM

Sexton makes a lot of results oriented remarks. My favorite being the hand between Jim Meehan and Eli Elezra at the Legends of Poker (season 3). Meehan raised with JJ, Elezra reraised with AK, Meehan went all in and Elezra called. Meanwhile, we the TV audience have seen other players fold two aces and a king, so we know Meehan's a pretty big favorite here-- and Sexton says so. Flop comes three low cards. Turn is the case ace and Meehan is knocked out. Sexton immediately starts talking about how Meehan should have pulled a stop and go so that he could get Elezra to fold if the flop came three low cards.

I've learned to deal with the WSOP commentary by not considering it "commentary" per se. It is more along the lines of a poignant, Rain Man-esque drama with Norman Chad in the Dustin Hoffman role. Instead of card-counting and "definitely Wapner", though, it's ex-wife jokes and "Josh Arieh is a dick". Lon McEachern fills in admirably in the Tom Cruise part, exasperated with his charge and his behavior, but doing his best to keep him in line, and evidencing that he does love and care about him, after all.

idrinkcoors 10-13-2005 05:56 PM

I actually like Mike Sexton and VVP. I've noticed though lately that when someone has pocket queens, Vince doesn't call them "West Hollywood" like he used to. I loved that one.

As far as ESPN, the only thing that bothers me is after the turn on an all-in. I can almost predict what card will come based on Lon or Norman Chad's commentary. If they say, "He needs a four, and a four only to win this hand," a four will usually appear. If a guy is not going to hit his longshot to win, they will usually say, "Joe is in trouble here."
I don't know if Lon and Norman are actually there watching the table in live play, but to me, the commentary seems to reflect a knowledge of the results. And yes, I know they edit later on and already know the winner.

UATrewqaz 10-13-2005 06:17 PM

Yes, the more they stress how crazy/impossible it is for a guy to win by catching a particular card, that's the card that's coming.

Unfortunately this ist he by-produce of knowing the results of the hand before you commintate it (I'm assuming they do, based on the fact it's so prerecorded and edited).

They also like to show bad beats and suck outs. Someone with AA gets a JTs all in and the AA wins, it's expected and boring and thus does not make good TV.

If you watched every AA hand you saw on ESPN broadcasts this year they probably have like a 50% win rate.

yoadrians 10-13-2005 07:22 PM

Sexton does a good job. You guys are way too picky.

You are NEVER, ever going to have Costas and Al Michaels.

Holla.

Dynasty 10-13-2005 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

On the football forum I sometimes read during MNF, the posters hate Al Michaels and John Madden.

Quicksilvre 10-13-2005 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Specifically, the posters who have started the THREE TRILLION OTHER THREADS about this feel the same way.

yoadrians 10-13-2005 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

On the football forum I sometimes read during MNF, the posters hate Al Michaels and John Madden.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright. Fair enough [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

You are never, EVER going to have Costas, Joe Buck and Gary Thorne.

10-13-2005 08:56 PM

Norman Chad on ESPN, usually about as funny as a horrible comic hit it spot on with his commentary on David Williams the other night during the WSOP Main Event coverage.

"There's David's mother watching over every hand...Not good for David's street cred. in the poker world..."

As bad as Chad is, that line is so choice...

10-13-2005 09:13 PM

I find it way worse on the WSOP than I do on the WPT. I feel like I know Norman Chad's ex-wives better than I know myself. WPT however I enjoy because Mike Sexton actually knows what hes talking about. The only thing I find annoying about the Sexton is his constant reminder of how they cant see eachothers cards.

JackWhite 10-13-2005 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if Lon and Norman are actually there watching the table in live play,

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember during the 2003 Main Event, I could see Norman Chad sitting in the front row while listening to his commentary. You would think they wouldn't let him sit where he could obviously be seen.

benkahuna 10-13-2005 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If you want good commentary, watch the Full Tilt show.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where can I watch such Full Tilt show?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's on Fox Sports Net. I caught the first one on a Wednesday night, but I know they air it a few times a week as well.

MicroBob 10-13-2005 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the only thing that bothers me is after the turn on an all-in. I can almost predict what card will come based on Lon or Norman Chad's commentary. If they say, "He needs a four, and a four only to win this hand," a four will usually appear. If a guy is not going to hit his longshot to win, they will usually say, "Joe is in trouble here."

[/ QUOTE ]

1. they are more likely to show more exciting suck-outs.

2. You really need to test this theory. I think it's just selective memory on your part. you just aren't as likely to remember the times when they say "he needs a 6...and a 6 alone to stay alive....ANNNNNND it's a meaningless Jack."

idrinkcoors 10-13-2005 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the only thing that bothers me is after the turn on an all-in. I can almost predict what card will come based on Lon or Norman Chad's commentary. If they say, "He needs a four, and a four only to win this hand," a four will usually appear. If a guy is not going to hit his longshot to win, they will usually say, "Joe is in trouble here."

[/ QUOTE ]

1. they are more likely to show more exciting suck-outs.

2. You really need to test this theory. I think it's just selective memory on your part. you just aren't as likely to remember the times when they say "he needs a 6...and a 6 alone to stay alive....ANNNNNND it's a meaningless Jack."

[/ QUOTE ]

Selective memory? No way. I can recall in exact detail every single bad beat I've received, yet I've never given one out.

MicroBob 10-13-2005 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can recall in exact detail every single bad beat I've received, yet I've never given one out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha ha.
Okay...that explains it then.
Never mind!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

edit - perhaps your memory would be more accurate if you drank less Coors.
Actually...perhaps the world would be better if EVERYONE drank less Coors.

benkahuna 10-13-2005 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Actually...perhaps the world would be better if EVERYONE drank less Coors.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you except for the perhaps part.

Shoe 10-13-2005 11:52 PM

But it's good for the fish.

10-14-2005 03:28 AM

Gary Thorne gets the mute button during hockey from me. He's worse than annoying. Why don't they import Bob Cole from Canada? Or Rick Jenneret?

MicroBob 10-14-2005 04:35 AM

since ESPN didn't renew with the NHL you don't have to worry about it (unless NBC decides to try to get him for the Stanley Cup)

GoSharks 10-15-2005 07:58 PM

I have to agree with the Gary Thorne bashers here, listen to Bob Cole and you'll hear a world of difference, and if I hear Thorne refer to ANDERS ERICSSON as ANDERSON one more time, or hear him say Nicky Lidstrom. . . AARRRGGGHHHHH!!!

I just wish Clement would drop a good 'ol BC two-hander on him.

OOT. . . did anyone else notice Clement doing color commentary for Badminton during the Summer Olympics last time around? It was surreal.

TheBlueMonster 10-15-2005 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i mean it's really bad. "Boy how can he raise heads up with 2-3? oh he is either the craziest guy in the world or he's a champion!"

totally honestly, i watch it muted. i can't handle it. it's torture. i always start with the commentary, then after about 10 minutes i can no longer handle it.

what do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]
oooh, awesome another post like this. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

MicroBob 10-15-2005 10:08 PM

I go back and forth on Gary Thorne actually.

Sometimes I like him okay....other times it just seems too forced and way too enthusiastic.

He's a pretty nice guy go though (when i met him) and is almost impossible to dislike personally imo.

SoftcoreRevolt 10-15-2005 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright. Fair enough [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

You are never, EVER going to have Costas, Joe Buck and Gary Thorne.

[/ QUOTE ]

Joe Buck makes Norman Chad look like a talented, funny, charming announcer.

MicroBob 10-16-2005 12:55 AM

Buck cracks me up with some of his sarcasm.

I don't think he's quite god's gift of announcing as Fox seems to believe (their top guy for baseball AND football for them) but I do rate him as a very good announcer.

I prefer Buck to most of the other 'top' announcers including Al Michaels, Bob Costas, Gary Thorne.
And I certainly prefer him to Norman Chad.

Rick Nebiolo 10-16-2005 04:20 PM

This is *perhaps* biased but I think Bart Hanson, Dave Tuchman, and Shirley Rosario from "Live at the Bike" would probably do well on edited TV.

~ Rick

BartHanson 10-16-2005 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is *perhaps* biased but I think Bart Hanson, Dave Tuchman, and Shirley Rosario from "Live at the Bike" would probably do well on edited TV.

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Rick, the check is in the mail.

Russ McGinley 10-16-2005 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Pats are getting destroyed.

yoadrians 10-16-2005 08:56 PM

So, basically the only announcers we admit to liking are hockey announcers from Canada?

BartHanson 10-16-2005 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Pats are getting destroyed.

[/ QUOTE ]

jags r a fluke

SoftcoreRevolt 10-16-2005 09:42 PM

I found him average before last year's playoffs. But the entire Randy Moss fake moon just showed him to be a giant useless tool. He was OK for football, TERRIBLE for baseball, but after that he was just annoying.

I still can't believe it it. He acted like a guy PRETENDING THE MOON was on a 9-11 level of offensiveness.

Now, he's slightly more insightful than Tim McCarver, who is possibly the worst announcer on earth, but he's easily as annoying as Norman Chad.