Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   What to do with a Child who plays SNG's? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=384079)

Pudge714 11-26-2005 01:38 PM

Re: What to do with a Child who plays SNG\'s?

[ QUOTE ]
Make him start showing the math of the game before he can play for the week. Pick a new prob/stat/game theory area to teach him each week and make him pass a test to play that week. When you run out of poker stuff move to calc or some other field. I don't know if that is good advice or not, but certainly there is a lot of great poker stuff that is applicable to all sorts of areas of life that most people never learn.

Also, you should probably make him put most of the winnings he withdraws into a retirement fund (or college fund).

There are certainly some possible downsides to gambling at a young age, but nothing you should not be able to steer him clear of as an active parent, and there is a lot of upside potential, too.

[/ QUOTE ]
If he can learn calc at nine or ten years old he should not be playing poker, because he can make a lot more money in other fields.

pokerlaw 11-26-2005 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Come on! My last paycheck bounced...my children need wine!

[/ QUOTE ]

Anybody else get this Simpsons allusion?

[/ QUOTE ]

its the guy in the booth at Euro Itchy and Scratchy land if i recall correctly.

BradleyT 11-26-2005 04:16 PM

What's his SN? We'll teach him what downswings feel like.

imported_cocarondelle 11-26-2005 09:46 PM

Hi Bruce.
I think that one of the main point is to find out where your son takes his pleasure from poker(it has been written in a previous post by someone else):
is your son interested in taking good decisions, outplaying people, improving math and skills, having a good time sharing a hobby with daddy, or do you feel he just enjoys the thrill and excitement of gambling (ie with money);
well, I won t give any opinion because I don't have any kids,but from what I read, the kid clearly shows an interest in advantage playing, or "getting the best of it" using his head in a strategy game, which I think is pretty good.A good friend of mine , who has two kids, plays sometimes some kind of three way tournament freeze out with them for fun, and I think the idea is great, because there is only the pleasure and the strategy here, no money involved;
well, hope it helped, good luck.

fjcomm02 11-26-2005 11:21 PM

1. Teach his friends how to play
2. Buy more computers
3. Start an internet poker sweatshop

11-27-2005 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
mega drive

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF is that?

Isura 11-27-2005 12:25 PM

I'm still trying to figure out why you would set up a poker account for your 9 year old son.

TimM 12-30-2005 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OMG poker is turning into chess!

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, I was just going to make a post about how no one is so concerned with all the little kids who play in chess tournaments with cash entry fees and cash prizes. And chess easily can cause a kid to lose interest in other kid activities.

12-30-2005 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OMG poker is turning into chess!

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, I was just going to make a post about how no one is so concerned with all the little kids who play in chess tournaments with cash entry fees and cash prizes. And chess easily can cause a kid to lose interest in other kid activities.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy thread bump batman!! [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Hendricks433 12-30-2005 04:32 PM

Re: Update

thats crazy. The kid is 9 years old! I cant imagine my parents letting me gamble on the internet at 9 years old. Shoot Im 19 and they hate me doing it now. I think thats kind of shady as a parent. By the way do you keep a % of his winnings? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]