Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   QQ on the button vs. a LAG - How's my line? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=184772)

7ontheline 01-27-2005 03:11 AM

QQ on the button vs. a LAG - How\'s my line?

I am on the button here - the preflop raiser directly to my right is a 60/20/1.5 LAG - very loose preflop, tightens up with each street. Generally seems to bet if not scared off. How's my line here? I did not want to give away the strength of my hand immediately, since I was pretty sure he would bet. The blinds were pretty tight, so I was confident they would fold if they didn't have a real hand. Should I have played this differently?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Cold-called so he wouldn't necessarily put me on a big PP. Mistake?

Flop: (6.33 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, CO calls.

Raised here because with the coordinated board, I wanted to charge a draw and because I felt that a raise did not necessarily reveal my hand.

Turn: (5.16 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Should I have raised here?

River: (7.16 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>. . .

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie) 01-27-2005 03:34 AM

Re: QQ on the button vs. a LAG - How\'s my line?

I'd rather raise the turn than the river, as you get an extra bet out of a straight or flush draw (which will not call a river raise if they miss.)

TripleH68 01-27-2005 04:21 AM

I prefer raising the turn. If he missed with overs you may get nothing on the river.

Nice win at Wisconsin. You think an undefeated season is really possible?

rmarotti 01-27-2005 07:28 AM

Another vote for the turn raise.

bakku 01-27-2005 07:33 AM

I'm surprised no one has said to 3-bet PF. Raise the turn for reasons others have stated.

rmarotti 01-27-2005 07:36 AM

Yikes! Completely missed how bad the PF play sucks goat ass. 3-bet PF every day and twice on Sundays.

chief444 01-27-2005 09:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised no one has said to 3-bet PF.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK...3 bet preflop. Having a bad and overaggressive player open raise in CO is reason to 3 bet a pretty wide range of hands from the button. QQ is definitely in that range.

[ QUOTE ]
Raise the turn

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah. I agree.

captZEEbo1 01-27-2005 11:50 AM

pf: 3-bet like whoa. We aren't playing 100/200 limits, just 3/6 pal.

raise turn, you have an OVERPAIR!

7ontheline 01-27-2005 02:03 PM

Well, it seems we have a consensus that I was suffering from a bad case of FPS. Dammit. Oh well - he called, showed KTo for a pair of tens and MHIG. I've been trying to add a little variation to my game, but I suppose it's not worth it at 3/6 against a moron LAG - he's probably not paying attention anyway.

FishNChips 01-27-2005 03:22 PM

Agree with the rest : Raise PF and raise the turn.

Given your plan, missing the turn raise is really bad. You wanted him sucked in thinking that he wasn't playing against a big PP (not sure that 3-bet PF tells him that, but...) and it seems to be working but you miss the extra bet on the turn by not raising.

I think a 3-bet PF is almost mandatory, but given the way you played it a raise on the turn is absolutely mandatory. If you put a plan together follow through with it unless there is a REALLY good reason to abort.

FishNChips