Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   What is the best Dell Laptop deal you have ever seen? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=301059)

pipster 07-26-2005 04:42 PM

What is the best Dell Laptop deal you have ever seen?

Is the "best of the best" deal you have ever seen on Dell the 40% off or $750 off ones? Anyone ever seen a 50% or a $1000 off? Or even better?

All I ever see are the 40% off and 750 as the top of the line deals... Just wondering if I should hold out or go ahead and buy one.

Freakin 07-26-2005 04:59 PM

Re: What is the best Dell Laptop deal you have ever seen?

35% off a 6000. It beat the 750 off 1500 deals.

Freakin

theben 07-26-2005 05:11 PM

buyer beware. . .

three years ago, i purchased a dell laptop spending over 3,000$ and within 2 and a half years the thing broke. I'm not just talking about minor problems, im talking about completely inoperable. the damn thing wouldn't even turn on

thier customer service is also horrible. its slow and takes a lifetime to get a live service rep. when you finally get a service rep, they speak absolutely no english. damn outsourcing, its like talking to a retarded wall. they also have no email or online chat support either

just a friendly suggestion, stay away from dell. the quality of thier product has declined tremendously over the last few years and thier tech support is a disgrace. (they make partypoker's tech support look good)

Lost Wages 07-26-2005 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they also have no email or online chat support either

[/ QUOTE ]

Link.

Lost Wages

FishHooks 07-26-2005 10:07 PM

wow you baught one computer from dell and now you claim to know everything about Dell. Most computer problems are due to retarted computer users.

AA suited 07-26-2005 10:19 PM

$750 off $1500, 10% DPA, 2% bonus DPA, Fatcash (2%, i think???).

750 - 14% = ~$645 for a barebones 6000 (1.6ghz) with integrated graphics. Unfurtunately, i missed this deal back in April.

10% DPA discount has been dead for a long time.

theben 07-27-2005 06:55 PM

i'm sure that was the problem

theben 07-27-2005 07:02 PM

well i'll be damned, they actually do have chat support

do you think its run by people who are fluent in english?

jman220 07-28-2005 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
buyer beware. . .

three years ago, i purchased a dell laptop spending over 3,000$ and within 2 and a half years the thing broke. I'm not just talking about minor problems, im talking about completely inoperable. the damn thing wouldn't even turn on

thier customer service is also horrible. its slow and takes a lifetime to get a live service rep. when you finally get a service rep, they speak absolutely no english. damn outsourcing, its like talking to a retarded wall. they also have no email or online chat support either

just a friendly suggestion, stay away from dell. the quality of thier product has declined tremendously over the last few years and thier tech support is a disgrace. (they make partypoker's tech support look good)

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not the only one. My current laptop is an Inspiron 1100 I bought 2 years ago. Apparently it wasn't designed for heavy use, I'm a law student and its basically on constantly, and I'm constantly using it. It overheats horribly and once every 3 months, like clockwork, the AC Adapter breaks. I think it just melts eventually, the thing heats up really bad. I am incredibly careful with it, whenever I recieve a new one now I immediately tape it up with electrical tape to strengthen it, but after about 3 months, its no good anymore. I have the 3 year warranty (thank god, because the replacement AC adaptors are like $100), and every time i call to get a replacement, its a several day ordeal requiring many many phone calls, with people who are about as fluent in english as those who make up party's tech support. Sometimes I think its the same exact people. I have friends with similar stories from Dell. I wonder if its worth the extra few hundred dollars to get one of those real "name brand" systems, like alienware? What kind of system do you have? I am in the market for a new laptop and have been tempted by these Dell deals, but my current experience with them is turning me off from it.
As a side note, can someone tell me how to make paragraphs in my post? I hate it when my posts look like this, they've gotta be impossible to read.

BigBaitsim (milo) 07-28-2005 12:17 AM

They tend to run the 50% off a laptop promo at the end of each quarter. Look for something like this in mid-late Sept, depending on how the Back to School sales go. Late March/early April are your best bets in general, because there is no big buying season in the Fall (unless you count gov't accounts using up their budgets at the end of the fiscal year in June).