Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Home Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Am I a dick for buying in deep (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=341476)

Yads 09-21-2005 03:03 PM

Am I a dick for buying in deep

I regularly play in a home .25c/.50c NL game. Most of the players are only casual players. Everyone usually buys in for $20, but as everyone here knows that is a short buy in for that structure.

I've recently started buying in for $50 or $40 while everyone else buys in for $20. Everyone seems cool with it, but for some reason I think that they may feel I'm being a bully when I buy in for that much. I don't want to come off taking as the game too serious. What do you guys think?

Guernica4000 09-21-2005 03:19 PM

Re: Am I a dick for buying in deep

If the rules allow it and everyone has the option to buy in for the same amount I don't see anything wrong with you buying in for $40 or $50 instead of $20.

JonPKibble 09-21-2005 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I regularly play in a home .25c/.50c NL game. Most of the players are only casual players. Everyone usually buys in for $20, but as everyone here knows that is a short buy in for that structure.

I've recently started buying in for $50 or $40 while everyone else buys in for $20. Everyone seems cool with it, but for some reason I think that they may feel I'm being a bully when I buy in for that much. I don't want to come off taking as the game too serious. What do you guys think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously this is bothering you enough that you are seeking the approval of others, I would suggest buying in for $20 to clearing your conscience.

Lottery Larry 09-21-2005 04:29 PM

Why are you buying in deep if you DON'T plan on being a bully?

Was there a point to this post, or are you looking for a group hug?

09-21-2005 11:51 PM

yea, your a dick. but so what, it's within the rules. i used to do the same thing because i liked being a dick.

smoore 09-22-2005 12:05 AM

::hug::

yeah dude, bully it up.

tonypaladino 09-22-2005 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yea, your a dick. but so what, it's within the rules. i used to do the same thing because i liked being a dick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone wanna make an over/under prop on how many times the word "dick" gets used in this thread?

Zetack 09-22-2005 11:16 AM

We had a guy buy in for 200 big blinds in the game I recently played at. No big deal.

If nobody seems bothered by it this is a real non-issue. Buy in for whatever makes you feel comfortable.

Yads 09-22-2005 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why are you buying in deep if you DON'T plan on being a bully?

Was there a point to this post, or are you looking for a group hug?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes there was a point if you had read the post.
I like to buy in for around 100 blinds because I can actually play poker with that amount instead of playing short stack all in poker.

Rest of the people that have responded thanks, I was just wondering how buying in for more than everyone else is viewed in your games.

Georgia Avenue 09-22-2005 11:39 AM

Serious answer: They will take you more seriously and think yr a dink (no c) at first but so what? If you have the right table image for a home game then they'll soon overlook it.

Right: Being happy, making jokes, laughing at losses, tipping (if called for), making crazy side bets, occasionally showing down a losing pisspoor hand, etc.
Wrong: Wearing sunglasses and berating people.

In a good game people are paying more attention to what you say than how you play. So buy in for the correct amount but let them think its because yr a total gambl0r.