Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Mid PPs in LP vs EP raiser (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=278406)

LowDown22 06-22-2005 06:02 PM

Mid PPs in LP vs EP raiser

Hypothetical question, but it's happened to me many times.

Let's say you are dealt a middle pocket pair 99 - 77 on the Button or CO in a 10 handed game. An early position player raises and everyone folds to you. The EP raiser is about 30%VPIP / 7%raise / 1.0AF. The blinds are fairly tight and will almost certainly fold if you re-raise.

Is this an easy re-raise with 77 thru 99?

Also, how is your play affected if the blinds are loose enough that if you call or re-raise at least one will always call.

davelin 06-22-2005 06:05 PM

Re: Mid PPs in LP vs EP raiser

I'd fold 77-88 and consider re-raising 99.

einbert 06-22-2005 06:07 PM

With that low of a PFR i'd only pop him back with 99+.

Most people I will repop with 88+, some with 77+.

Entity 06-22-2005 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With that low of a PFR i'd only pop him back with 99+.

Most people I will repop with 88+, some with 77+.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup.

LowDown22 06-22-2005 06:14 PM

Ok good, that's pretty much how I've been playing it. How high would his preflop raise % need to be for you to consider 88 or 77 in this position? And how about against an unknown player?

Nick C 06-22-2005 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this an easy re-raise with 77 thru 99?

[/ QUOTE ]

In my opinion, no.

If he's only raising 7 percent, you're most likely either slightly ahead or way behind with all three of these hands (77-99).

Granted, you'll be up against overcards more often than a bigger pair, and you have position, and it's possible that the EP raiser has unusual standards or that he raises somewhat randomly on occasion.

All the same, I don't really have a problem with folding all three hands in this spot, against this player.

Nutz&Boltz 06-22-2005 06:25 PM

First of all, find another game. Secondly, this is another situation where you will win a little pot or loose a big one. Why risk your chips with what is probably a small +EV situation when there are plenty of large +EV situations to come.

Entity 06-22-2005 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, find another game. Secondly, this is another situation where you will win a little pot or loose a big one. Why risk your chips with what is probably a small +EV situation when there are plenty of large +EV situations to come.

[/ QUOTE ]

In limit poker, you make money by making every +EV decision possible, big or small. It's not like NL. It's also incredibly difficult to lose a big pot or only win a small one with a mid-pocket pair.

Rob

phredd 06-22-2005 06:34 PM

Newbie question: If you are going to raise him under these parameters, why does it matter if you hold 77 or 99? Under these conditions, aren't we pretty much assuming that raiser has two cards of ten or better, and the only real question is whether or not he holds an over-pair? It seems to me that in this specific situation, pretty much any small PP is the equivalent of any other.

If you get to JJ, then there's a good chance you are not facing two overs, so the equation changes.

Am I missing something?

LowDown22 06-22-2005 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, find another game.

[/ QUOTE ]In the land of $1/2 at Poker Stars, this seems to happen very often. Much respect is given to the EP raisers.