Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   ATs against a LAG (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=381349)

jason_t 11-19-2005 01:01 AM

ATs against a LAG

31/16/2.1 who I have a long history of aggression with opens UTG. I 3-bet A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] otb. He calls.

The flop is 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
He bets and I call.

The turn is T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
He bets and I raise.

The river is 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
He checks, I bet, he raises, I 3-bet

11-19-2005 01:17 AM

Re: ATs against a LAG

Ok, this hand is a disaster. Why do you 3 bet preflop??? Small Stakes hold them specifically says to fold AT to a raise. This kind of preflop looseness is what i look for in a table. Your flop call is ok because you bloated the pot with an awful 3 bet so i guess you have to. On the turn, you might be behind 3 sevens so why on earth would you raise? You cant beat trips with this hand. I would probably call for my image but then fold the river. The river is the worst of all. Yeah you have a full house but even those need to be valued relatively to our opponents possible hands (read: quads). you are spewing here and wont be able to move up limits with play like this.

istewart 11-19-2005 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wont be able to move up limits with play like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Got one thing right! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

McGahee 11-19-2005 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, this hand is a disaster. Why do you 3 bet preflop??? Small Stakes hold them specifically says to fold AT to a raise. This kind of preflop looseness is what i look for in a table. Your flop call is ok because you bloated the pot with an awful 3 bet so i guess you have to. On the turn, you might be behind 3 sevens so why on earth would you raise? You cant beat trips with this hand. I would probably call for my image but then fold the river. The river is the worst of all. Yeah you have a full house but even those need to be valued relatively to our opponents possible hands (read: quads). you are spewing here and wont be able to move up limits with play like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read your first post but I'm pretty sure it's better than this one.

I don't know how much value there is in the river 3-bet, but otherwise pretty standard.

uw_madtown 11-19-2005 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't read your first post but I'm pretty sure it's better than this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not.

krimson 11-19-2005 01:33 AM

I think the river is the only piece in question here right?

I think I like this river 3-bet. I actually started out writing a response that I didn't like it and would just call but my analysis leads in the other direction.

I think his line here suggests that he does not have 7's. It looks like he backed off on the turn when we raised, but then when the 3rd 7 comes he gets comfortable again and c/r's us. Likely holdings are A9, AT, KT, QT, JT, or an overpair. Possibly even an underpair.

There are much more combinations of non JJ+ hands that he could have raised here.

I guess the question is, how often is he c/r'ing the river with something worse than 7's full of 10's? I think your experience with the villian is more helpful in determining the finer aspects of this than looking at his stats.

uw_madtown 11-19-2005 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
31/16/2.1 who I have a long history of aggression with opens UTG. I 3-bet A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] otb. He calls.

The flop is 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
He bets and I call.

The turn is T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
He bets and I raise.

The river is 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
He checks, I bet, he raises, I 3-bet

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what to say other than that this is a beautiful hand that looks standard the whole way. Assuming the T doesn't come off on the turn, what were your plans then?

Anyway, yeah. I play it the same, although I feel a little sick if he caps. But he's c/ring this river with a lot of stuff here, including a T, a 9, and underpairs, all of which he'll at least call with. If he had JJ+ preflop, he'd cap (and probably 3-bet the turn). His PFR is low enough that it's VERY unlikely he has a case 7. Me like hand, me 3-bet river.

krimson 11-19-2005 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If he had JJ+ preflop, he'd cap

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a very good point that I missed in my analysis. Definitely heavily favours a 3-bet now.

imported_anacardo 11-19-2005 01:46 AM

Everything here seems reasonable; I would often call the river raise against a "standard" LAG, but your reads and history add a lot of value to the three-bet. What's your plan for a river cap? Cringe and call, or call with all confidence? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

einbert 11-19-2005 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This kind of preflop looseness is what i look for in a table

[/ QUOTE ]
lol