Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Talk me out of spending a lot of $ on HDTV (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=330965)

CrazyEyez 09-06-2005 04:42 PM

Talk me out of spending a lot of $ on HDTV

I'm thinking about joining the HD world.
- DLP or RPLCD + stand = ~ $2.5k
- directv HD package = $11/month
- additional sat box when I move my existing tv to living room that currently has no tv = $5/month
- Upgrade directivo box to HDtivo box = rape ($???)
- off-air antennae for network HD content = $???
- directv installation of antennae/new triple LNB dish/new line to living room for old tv = ??? (probably more rape)
- Opportunity cost of wasting more time in front of the tv instead of, um, online endeavors = $???
- dvd player because mine is old and is not progressive scan = ~$100

But it's fine because:
- wife only works part time
- we plan to have a second kid soon
- we will need a bigger car (~$30k) next year (see above)
- I don't make much in my "online endeavors" because I don't spend much time at it (see wife and soon-to-be 2 kids)
- I make mediocre money at my day job

But what are the CONS to making the upgrade?

In all seriousness, is it worth it? I've had a 27" WEGA for years. When I bought a 5.1 sound system years ago I thought it was the best thing ever. When I walk through Best Buy on a Sunday and football is on in HD, I drool. It's worth every penny, right?

jakethebake 09-06-2005 04:44 PM

Re: Talk me out of spending a lot of $ on HDTV

Don't do it, dude.

trying2learn 09-06-2005 04:46 PM

I love HD.

I bought a view sonic tv and I think they're still really reasonably priced. They've made computer monitors for a long time, but just started in on tv's, so they're still like 1/3 cheaper than your sony and other top end models.

There's no comparison to watching sports in HD.

touchfaith 09-06-2005 04:46 PM

I honestly can't see spending 2.5k on a TV when you can get a huge rear-projector (57"+) unit for under 2k.

I picked my mine for $1800 (57" Hitachi) over a year ago and they can only have gotten less expensive...

Is that with a built in HDTV converter? That's another thing I wont do, but that's more of a pet peeve. I just really prefer separate components.

PITTM 09-06-2005 04:49 PM

i just bought an 800 dollar hdtv thats not that giant. i <3 hd.

rj

kenberman 09-06-2005 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I honestly can't see spending 2.5k on a TV when you can get a huge rear-projector (57"+) unit for under 2k.

I picked my mine for $1800 (57" Hitachi) over a year ago and they can only have gotten less expensive...

[/ QUOTE ]

you can buy a 57 inch HDTV DLP that is NOT huge (about a foot deep, 70 pounds) for about $1800 now.

trying2learn 09-06-2005 04:56 PM

my view sonic was 1400...and pwns.

augie00 09-06-2005 04:59 PM

Dude don't do it.

IndieMatty 09-06-2005 05:00 PM

Get all of this, plus you should spend about 4k on a plasma. Its totally worth it.

touchfaith 09-06-2005 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you can buy a 57 inch HDTV DLP that is NOT huge (about a foot deep, 70 pounds) for about $1800 now.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fairly mouth watering. DLP's definately look better.

But, I think most places are setup to have a fairly large area where a TV would be best placed though, often times in front of a window. I just can't see the need to 'go thin' when the space is rarely an issue anyway.

It's more a cool factor.

When I read that, it just makes me think "damn I should be able to get a RP for even cheaper now..."