Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Do you bet the river? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=374564)

loose passive 11-08-2005 08:09 PM

Do you bet the river?

PokerStars 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Not much of a read as I was multi-tabling

Preflop: Hero is Button with 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (3 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

I have no idea if I am behind or ahead now.

River: (15 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero?

shark6 11-08-2005 08:17 PM

Re: Do you bet the river?

Fold PF, Without a read I wouldn't steal with this hand.

Bet the flop, don't give the flush draws and overpairs a free chance to beat you.

The way you played it I'd check the river down because BB played that hand so bizarre.

toss 11-08-2005 08:17 PM

Bet. The. Flop.

crazygoose 11-08-2005 08:28 PM

given the way you played it i would bet that river. Ppl always play poorly in the blinds.

olavfo 11-08-2005 09:07 PM

Checking this flop is horrible.

The board contains a 2-flush, so bet and protect your hand. As the preflop raiser you're expected to bet almost regardless of the flop anyway, so you're not giving your hand away. (And even if you did, you should still bet.)

When BB calls SB's turn bet and then caps, I just want the cheapest possible showdown, so I check the river.

W. Deranged 11-08-2005 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Checking this flop is horrible.

The board contains a 2-flush, so bet and protect your hand. As the preflop raiser you're expected to bet almost regardless of the flop anyway, so checking just looks suspicious.

When BB calls SB's turn bet and then caps, I just want the cheapest possible showdown, so I check the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Small point: we're betting the flop for value more than protection. We're never getting a flush draw to fold. We can, though, protect against weak backdoor draws, gutshots, pairs which have set outs against us, and so on.

Betting this flop is absolutely automatic, though. So is, in my opinion, betting the river.

Alex/Mugaaz 11-08-2005 09:12 PM

I fold PF.
I bet the flop and river.

olavfo 11-08-2005 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Small point: we're betting the flop for value more than protection.

[/ QUOTE ]
A digression:

I sometimes use the term "protection" when I talk about not letting your opponents draw for free (even if they have odds to call). Is this technically incorrect poker lingo?

Of course I agree that a flop bet is first and foremost for value.

W. Deranged 11-08-2005 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Small point: we're betting the flop for value more than protection.

[/ QUOTE ]
A digression:

I sometimes use the term "protection" when I talk about not letting your opponents draw for free (even if they have odds to call). Is this technically incorrect poker lingo?

Of course I agree that a flop bet is first and foremost for value.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right that my point is entirely semantic.

It is important to realize that this bet is really for value and not "protection" proper. "Protection" is a tough concept, and confusing when we are betting with the primary intent to protect and when we are betting primarily for value might become confusing (for you or others reading this thread) in later situations when the two factors seems to be exclusive/contradictory/etc...