Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   the real simon trumper (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=286241)

twankerr 07-05-2005 12:23 AM

Re: the real simon trumper

welcome back paul

Punker 07-05-2005 02:13 AM

Oddly, the first thing I thought of when I read this post was your blog post about Hellmuth threatening to tell other top pros about some guy's bad etiquette.

While I understand that what Trumper did is lame and stupid, I don't understand why Greenstein didn't call the clock.

72off 07-05-2005 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
While I understand that what Trumper did is lame and stupid, I don't understand why Greenstein didn't call the clock.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just speculating, but either to be polite (as was stated in the article) and/or because Barry thought he wanted a call (because the guy was taking so long he probably thought he had the best hand) and didn't want to do anything to jeopardize that.

But then again, I have no idea what I'm talking about. Others can feel free to correct me...

stinkypete 07-05-2005 02:37 AM

it would be nice to see people start calling the clock on this guy every time he starts to think about his decision. he's clearly a piece of [censored].

Paul Phillips 07-05-2005 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He was granting him a courtesy, believing he actually had the difficult decision he was pretending to have. No good turn goes unpunished.

More importantly, the problem is not solved by calling the clock. This same issues comes up quite a bit in the big mixed game. If you're playing 2-7 and make a 75432 on the last draw, and you raise and get re-raised, it is NOT OK to go into the tank for a while and then re-raise again. Someone who did that after being warned would be badgered out of the game.

Is that problem solved by calling the clock on people if they don't act immediately? Not a bit. If you're more likely to get the last call if you do it (and you are) then now everyone has to do it lest they be at a disadvantage.

Burning clock to fake a tough decision is lame, lame, lame. It's already the case that 95% of the rulebook exists only because lamers make it necessary. I'm sure before long that'll describe 99.9% of the rulebook.

shaniac 07-05-2005 02:45 AM

That story seems really weird, considering that Trumper is, as far as I know, a pro and a polite Englishman. I played with him for a little while in the razz event and he seemed totally normal.

I'm not saying Barry made this up, of course, just that it seems bizarre, like maybe a detail was missing. Did the two men have some kind of history? Was the board paired? I don't see how/why anyone could a) play the stone-cold nuts in this manner and b) make a complete jerk out of himself in the process.

Paul Phillips 07-05-2005 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That story seems really weird, considering that Trumper is, as far as I know, a pro and a polite Englishman. I played with him for a little while in the razz event and he seemed totally normal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I know simon and I've never seen him do anything like this, or for that matter give any indication he'd ever do something like this. I'm sure simon's version of events would tell a somewhat different story, but short of a rather unlikely outright fabrication on barry's part, simon blew it here.

shaniac 07-05-2005 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This same issues comes up quite a bit in the big mixed game....

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it's PLO, but doesn't Barry have to call off his last "8 or 9,000" in a pot that big with the second nuts? Also, does going into the tank for 10 minutes really accomplish anything more than going into the tank for THREE minutes would?

What's the point of trying to tilt someone whom you've already crippled and are likely to bust? I'm missing how this is a viable angle and how getting into Barry's head (or for that matter, getting his last 8K) is worth risking the scorn of your tablemates and possible damage to your reputation.

daveymck 07-05-2005 06:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I know simon and I've never seen him do anything like this, or for that matter give any indication he'd ever do something like this. I'm sure simon's version of events would tell a somewhat different story, but short of a rather unlikely outright fabrication on barry's part, simon blew it here.

[/ QUOTE ]

He has posted an initial repsonse on the Hendon mob site but is going to give his full version later today.

Mathilde 07-05-2005 06:24 AM

Hello, I am Simon's partner...After coming back from the Rio, Simon read the ESPN article and was so furious that he went back there to talk to the tournament director and the reporter...In 2 words, Barny Boatman, Peter Costa and Huck Seed were on the table and they all said to the tournament director that Simon took less than 2 mn to raise (after checking the nut), and he never slow rolled his cards...He just out played a great player.
He will do a post on his site or i'll ask him to reply on this forum too.