Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Stud (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   General stud theory question: Being raised in the first betting round (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=404857)

NYCNative 12-25-2005 02:30 AM

General stud theory question: Being raised in the first betting round

You have a mid-pair and players to act after you have some higher up cards but there's nothing really scary out there. I usually will limp in this spot but what happens when someone afterwards completes? Do I throw away the hand for half a small bet or do I call the complete to see what 4th street brings?

preiserone 12-25-2005 02:43 AM

Re: General stud theory question: Being raised in the first betting ro

This really depends on alot of things. How many people are in the pot, overcard kicker, live cards, the raisers likely holdings, etc... If the situation is favorable make the call, if not then you may need to consider folding.

You can't really be that general in this game.

12-25-2005 03:16 AM

Re: General stud theory question: Being raised in the first betting round

It also depends on what you think he has (how likely he has the big pair), how the hand will be played out, the relative size of the full bet to the bring in, and the relative size of that to the ante.

Big ante game against passive players where you don't really believe he's got it, call. Small ante game against a tight aggressive player that is likely to have it, find a better spot.

preiserone 12-25-2005 04:53 AM

This type of question could be better answered if you posted some hand examples. There are many more variables to this situation that it can not really be answered well in a straight forward general rule without the whole story.

PLOlover 12-25-2005 04:44 PM

Re: General stud theory question: Being raised in the first betting round

heads up fold w/o overcard or strflush kicker, multiway call and try to make a big hand.

Andy B 12-25-2005 08:08 PM

I have never folded for half a small bet after limping in for the other half.

PoorLawyer 12-25-2005 11:22 PM

im with andy on this one. if you limped and and it is only a completion I can't see folding. Of course this assumes you are limping with a reasonable hand that is live and can improve to win. If not, then you need to reconsider the hands you are playing

benwood 12-26-2005 03:49 AM

Sometimes the limp is for only 1/3 of a small bet,& then you can get away from the completion a lot easier.

bygmesterf 12-26-2005 05:06 AM

Since I don't play middle pairs, I can't answer your question from personal experience.

In general a raise on 3rd, means you should call on 3rd/4th/ and probably 5th/6th/7th as well. Why get sucked into a big pot with trap hand?

Middle pairs == Weak two pair which is strictly a sucker hand in any game where people like to play big pairs.

preiserone 12-26-2005 06:47 AM

Playing no middle pairs has got to be -EV, thats pretty tight I think.

And calling a half bet on 3rd street won't tie you on if you don't improve by 5th most of the time. If you don't catch 2 pair or better or a good draw by fifth get out of the hand.