Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Defending BB issue (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=399710)

Benman 12-16-2005 03:04 PM

Defending BB issue

If it's folded to the small blind, an aggressive player, who raises, how does everybody play very small pairs, 22-44 for example? My default has been to fold. If you do decide to play here, call I presume, the default line almost has to be call to the river, doesn't it? You can't be looking for trips only, otherwise the odds aren't there, but you can't just give up on the flop either, because the SB is almost always going to bet. Ideas?

POKhER 12-16-2005 03:08 PM

Re: Defending BB issue

Depends on the villan, is he 50/30? is he 30/20?

What board do we hit? Is it 36J? or is it KT8?

Theres not a guide to this topic really [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] unfortunatly lol.

Show us an example, it will get more replys i think.

Wynton 12-16-2005 03:20 PM

Headsup, you do not need trips; low pairs will often win.

Against the "aggressive" player in your example, I definitely will not fold a pair. Indeed, there are very few hands I'd fold in this position against that player. Instead, I would just mix it up between calling and reraising.

ejay 12-16-2005 03:25 PM

Against an aggresive player i am never folding and i would prolly 3 bet. After the flop i would have to use my reads and the texture of the flop to see where i stand but against really aggro players i like going to the showdown.

Monty Cantsin 12-16-2005 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it's folded to the small blind, an aggressive player, who raises... My default has been to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that it's not uncommon for good players to defend with any 2 cards in this situation. You have a pair.

/mc

aargh57 12-16-2005 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If it's folded to the small blind, an aggressive player, who raises... My default has been to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that it's not uncommon for good players to defend with any 2 cards in this situation. You have a pair.

/mc

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you suggesting to defend with any 2 cards in this situation? I can't see how that can be profitable. Even if you know he's stealing how can 72 or 84 be worth a call here as you've got the worst hand going in.

imported_The Vibesman 12-16-2005 03:39 PM

Gotta mix it up, but I think the simplest, easiest solution is to just call down the whole way. This keeps you from spewing chips when you are behind and keeps you from getting bluffed out when you are ahead by an aggro opponent, say the type that will re-raise the flop against a perceived steal defense.

Another concept to think about, though, is whether you want your opponent to fold or not, and whether he will fold. Say SB raises, you call w/ 44 and the flop comes A82 rainbow. I think if you know SB will raise plenty of hands without an ace, that a flop raise may be in order. It's possible you could get him to fold a 6-outer here or on the turn. If you are played back at you can safely fold.

There's a lot of other things to think about, I hope this can get you started.

12-16-2005 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you suggesting to defend with any 2 cards in this situation? I can't see how that can be profitable. Even if you know he's stealing how can 72 or 84 be worth a call here as you've got the worst hand going in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that I personally advocate defending with 72 here, but you're getting 3:1 on your call here so you don't need the best hand going in. Plus, you'll have position throughout the hand. I would imagine a good player could defend the significant majority of hands here profitably.

My personal limit is about any hand with any ten or higher, lower if they're suited/connected. Is this too tight?

Monty Cantsin 12-16-2005 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're getting 3:1. You have position. If your opponent raises every hand here (and many aggressive opponents will) how can you fold?

Besides, what's wrong with 84? That's a classic unsuited 3-gapper, a very versatile hand.

/mc

aargh57 12-16-2005 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're getting 3:1. You have position. If your opponent raises every hand here (and many aggressive opponents will) how can you fold?

Besides, what's wrong with 84? That's a classic unsuited 3-gapper, a very versatile hand.

/mc

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess maybe you're right and perhaps I should be defending more. When playing in the MLL (micro limit league-now defunct)one was constantly in this position (HU against aggressive players) and I didn't think that it would be profitable to play every hand that was raised to you. Conversely, I never auto raised with uber crap either and would sometimes even limp. Do you consider limping in the SB to be always a bad play?