Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Thanksgiving Menu (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=153538)

Ulysses 11-25-2004 05:32 PM

Thanksgiving Menu

So I'm cooking Thanksgiving this year. Here's what I came up with.

Turkey: Brined overnight in salt/pepper/garlic/sugar/maple syrup brine. Cooking right now on bed of chopped celery and onions.

Gravy: Standard gravy from brined turkey drippings infused w/ those aromatic vegetable flavors.

Stuffing: Cornbread stuffing w/ onions and celery.

Green beans: Sauteed in olive oil w/ salt/pepper/garlic and a touch of soy.

Carrots: Roasting right now, tossed w/ salt/pepper/olive oil. Bourbon and maple syrup glaze.

Buttermilk dinner rolls.

Ocean Spray Jellied Cranberry Sauce.

Sterling Chardonnay and Clos Du Bois Pinot.

Cherry Pie.

Let's hear what you guys came up with.

balkii 11-25-2004 05:34 PM

Re: Thanksgiving Menu

I find the lack of mashed potatoes on your menu highly unsettling.

Ulysses 11-25-2004 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is the first time ever for that. I just feel like with rolls, stuffing etc., the mashed potatoes always just seems like too much. It'll be weird not to have them, but we'll see how it goes.

ClaytonN 11-25-2004 05:40 PM

My family didn't make mashed potatos this year. I about fainted.

Rick Nebiolo 11-25-2004 05:46 PM

dump the rolls, not the mashed potatoes! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

~ rick

ps i get the impression that the average poster on this forum is a better cook than the average american housewife (or househusband to be pc).

balkii 11-25-2004 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is the first time ever for that. I just feel like with rolls, stuffing etc., the mashed potatoes always just seems like too much. It'll be weird not to have them, but we'll see how it goes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those atkins people have been brainwashing you huh?

Diplomat 11-25-2004 05:48 PM

Usually I'll do a mirepois with more ingredients, but then again, roasting turkey or chicken with carrot isn't for me. For extra flavour, next time chop some Prosciuttino and throw it in. Throw some paprika on the top of that bird, helps it brown.

Splash a touch of OJ or a squeeze of lemon on those beans.

Decent wine choices.

No corn?

----------------------------------------------------------

Up here we do thanksgiving in October for some reason...this year I did yams instead of potatoes, and watercress soup to start. I've never done green beans with turkey, it's a good idea.

-Diplomat

Sponger15SB 11-25-2004 05:50 PM

I am not a big fan of everything else, and your lack of mashed potatoes is sad, however that Turkey sounds realllllly freaking good.

I am sad because usually went spend thanksgiving with family friends but they have since moved to pennsylvania, and they make an excellent assortment of food as well as very tasty margaritas and me and my mom get drunk together, haha.

So we are going with a very bland thanksgiving of just turkey w/ wet&dry stuffing, pumpkin pie, mashed potatoes, waldorf salad and rolls.

dogsballs 11-25-2004 06:05 PM

Why mashed? Roast spuds are way better.

beer butt turkey for me. I don't have teh stand, so I jabbed two stainless forks through the breasts to make a tripod. Soup can with red wine and rosemary in there - it's on the bbq now.

my gf just informe me mashed spuds are traditional and thats' what we are having, and no talk back...eh, ok darling.

roast brussel sprouts are my dept though; along with grilled asparagus.

Jacobs creek cab sav and I splurged on a nice california syrah too. Shreck 2 for the dvd.

edit: gf has home made pecan pie in the oven

Ulysses 11-25-2004 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Usually I'll do a mirepois with more ingredients, but then again, roasting turkey or chicken with carrot isn't for me. For extra flavour, next time chop some Prosciuttino and throw it in. Throw some paprika on the top of that bird, helps it brown.

[/ QUOTE ]

The turkey is roasting in an oven bag. The carrots are roasting separately. That Proscittino sounds like a great idea. Did the paprika.

[ QUOTE ]
Splash a touch of OJ or a squeeze of lemon on those beans.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will do!

[ QUOTE ]
Decent wine choices.

[/ QUOTE ]

My parents don't like overly dry/oaky wines, so had to take that into account when choosing wines. Most of my wines are much bigger than they would like, so my selections are limited. I might go with a Gloria Ferrer Chardonnay instead of the Sterling. Also might go with either a D-Cubed or Ravenswood (Big River, I think) Zin instead of the Pinot.

[ QUOTE ]
No corn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that was an oversight. I would have added corn to the menu had I remembered.

[ QUOTE ]
Up here we do thanksgiving in October for some reason...this year I did yams instead of potatoes

[/ QUOTE ]

I did mashed sweet potatoes w/ steak a couple weeks ago. It was great, though a bit of a pain in the ass. I almost did that or yams again for Thanksgiving, but a big part of the reason mashed potatoes got dropped instead of rolls was laziness.