Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Mid Pocket Pairs... Trouble Once A Flop Comes Down (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=354499)

KramerTM 10-10-2005 01:18 PM

Mid Pocket Pairs... Trouble Once A Flop Comes Down

Am I overplaying this hand PF or underplaying it on the flop? I know most of you will advocate a continuation bet when it is checked to me. That is my normal line that I take 90% of the time on a flop like this, but I decided to try something new. I figured that the line I used here will cost me the same amount when I am beat and allow me to see a showdown more often.

Anyway, please help me play mid-PPs better than this.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

BB (t2355)
UTG (t2260)
UTG+1 (t1070)
MP1 (t1400)
MP2 (t2730)
MP3 (t4430)
CO (t2255)
Hero (t1540)
SB (t210)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls t30, 1 fold, MP1 calls t30, 2 folds, CO calls t30, Hero raises to t150, 2 folds, UTG calls t120, MP1 folds, CO calls t120.

Flop: (t525) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)
UTG checks, CO checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (t525) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 players)
UTG checks, CO bets t125, Hero raises to t250</font>, UTG folds, CO raises to t475, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t1250

gobboboy 10-10-2005 01:38 PM

Re: Mid Pocket Pairs... Trouble Once A Flop Comes Down

[ QUOTE ]
Am I overplaying this hand PF or underplaying it on the flop? I know most of you will advocate a continuation bet when it is checked to me. That is my normal line that I take 90% of the time on a flop like this, but I decided to lose a pot I could easily have picked up with a continuation bet, and if not could've found out where I stood along with getting a free card. I figured that the line I used here will cost me the same amount when I am beat and allow me to see a showdown more often.

Anyway, please help me play mid-PPs better than this.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

I put in a continuation bet here. TT is not a mid pocket pair, it is far too strong to play so timidly. Typically you are going to get one overcard, but a queen is definitely one of the best ones to come out. Put in a cont bet, check the turn and call a river bet UI unless a scare card comes.

rockythecat99 10-10-2005 01:56 PM

Bet this flop. My intuition says he hit a small set of 7s. Pot it if you want. TT-99 are great hands I don't know why people are so afraid to play them.

TomHimself 10-10-2005 02:00 PM

make C-bet, a pot bet isnt necesarry

badluckal 10-10-2005 02:05 PM

Raise more preflop to define your hand and discourage callers, or just limp and play for set value.

There is already 135 in the pot when it gets to you, so you are offering great odds to the limpers and the blinds by raising to only 120 more. If you want to raise, make it 220 or so - you are offering the limpers/blinds poor odds to chase. If the table is playing such that even a large raise will not get anyone out, just limp and try to flop a cheap set or an overpair.

On the flop, I think you absolutely must throw in a continuation bet here. What are you afraid of? Why do you want to see a showdown? There is only one overcard, the board is fairly uncoordinated, you are the pre-flop raiser, and you are in position. Bet, then reevaluate if you are called or raised.

The turn mini-raise is absolutely worthless here. He bet about 1/4 of the pot, making me think that he is either making a probe bet with a weak Queen, low PP, maybe a flush draw or has garbage and feels like the pot is for sale. I would pop it to about 400-500 if I felt like I could take the pot from the CO, or I would just fold and start over on the next hand.

Exitonly 10-10-2005 03:16 PM

I like the raise PF, though at these levels i wouldn't be all that against just limping, but you have position and no one shown any strength (except maybe the UTG limp, but doubt it).

But definitely gotta continuation the flop, you can get away if checckraised, and you have a good shot of taking it down now. The turn minraise i first thought was really bad, but now i think it's only 'pretty bad' as theres a good chancec you get a free showdown..

yea that's about all.