Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   With apologies to Ed Miller, your favorite read of the last year (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=154871)

sfer 11-29-2004 12:32 PM

With apologies to Ed Miller, your favorite read of the last year

For me, it's not really close. Middlesex.

fsuplayer 11-29-2004 12:35 PM

Re: With apologies to Ed Miller, your favorite read of the last year

the davinci code.

im a sheep.

ThaSaltCracka 11-29-2004 12:37 PM

DaVinci Code, I am a sheep too.

nolanfan34 11-29-2004 12:42 PM

This book isn't new by any means, but I'm in the middle of reading Ball Four, by Jim Bouton, and I'm really enjoying it.

spamuell 11-29-2004 12:44 PM

I thought Middlesex was excellent as well.

I'm still going with Harry Potter 5 though.

Rick Nebiolo 11-29-2004 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This book isn't new by any means, but I'm in the middle of reading Ball Four, by Jim Bouton, and I'm really enjoying it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read that in my youth. I think one of the first books written by an ex-jock that wasn't pap. Cool to learn that Mickey Mantle was really into training and game preparation [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img].

~ Rick

Rick Nebiolo 11-29-2004 12:51 PM

I started the Patrick O'Brien series beginning of course with "Master and Commander". Right now am on book five of twenty ("Desolation Island") and three more (six thru eight) are on my Christmas list. All are great reads.

Anyway, put Middlesex on my post Christmas list [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

~ Rick

nicky g 11-29-2004 12:52 PM

Does it have to be a book published in the last year? If so, I'm not sure I read any. Otherwise:

Reading "The Magus" by John Fowles at the moment, very good. First proper novel I've enjoyed in years (I went off fiction shortly after finishing an English Literature MA). Although a botched ending could let it down badly, let's hope that doesn't happen. Assuming that doesn;t happen, it's my book of the year.

"A Spy's Life" by Henry Porter was a good thriller.

"Al Qaida" by Jason Burke is excellent; should be required reading.

"Peddling Prosperity" by Krugman was pretty good. His collection of columns was good but they're nothing on his proper work, and I can't for the life of me figure out why I spent twenty quid on the hardback version.

As was "Rogue Nation" by Clyde Prestowitz.

"Travels With A Tangerine" by Tim Mackintosh Smith was good until I lost it, about half way through; should really get another copy.

"Eastward To Tartary" by Robert Kaplan was very good on the Middle East.

Steven Kinzer's book on Turkey was OK, a bit disappointing.

"Iraq" by Dillip Hiro was very good but felt a bit rushed; a post-war update would be welcome.

"After Jihad" by Noah Feldman was worth reading but a bit flimsy; regret buying it in hardback.

"Globalisation and Its Discontents" was worth rerading and finishing this time round; very good. "The Roaring 90s" had some very good stuff in it but wasn't that coherent as a book.

I was really enjoying Balthazar's Odyssey by Amin Malouf but somehow put it down and didn;t pick it back up about 2/3 of the way through. Should definitely finish it/start it again.

Books I'm looking forward to reading: "Arafat: From Defender to Dictator" by Said Aburish, "The Fight" by Norman Mailer (bought these two yesterday), "Why Globalisation Works" by Martin Wolf, "In The Rose Garden of the Martyrs" by someone whose name I forget (Economist Tehran correspondent).

bwana devil 11-29-2004 01:27 PM

"Confessions of a Master Jewel Thief" by Bill Mason

Autobiography about a man who robs the rich over a 30 year period. Just found out the movie rights got bought by Paramount a few weeks ago too.

edtost 11-29-2004 02:04 PM

This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald