Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   first 6-max hand: KQs in SB (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=303374)

@bsolute_luck 07-29-2005 03:12 PM

first 6-max hand: KQs in SB

okay this is from my first short 6-max session. definitely nervous and real shakey on preflop stuff and iffy on postflop aggression.

and reads are more difficult for me to adjust since the hand ranges are much larger now, plus the table i'm at is uber-loose/passive preflop and a mix of LAG/LP postflop.

UTG: the basic read i can gather is that his raising range is pretty tight preflop from UTG, calls down with at least 2nd pair, but will fold if dangerous board and seems beaten. hasn't played enough hands with me to think much of what/how i play.

BB is just a loose/passive doofus who typically calls to at least the turn on any draw/pair regardless of board.

Hero is SB K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Preflop
<font color="red">UTG raises</font>, folded to Hero, Hero calls, BB calls.

I got a little shook up here figuring I was supposed to reraise, but I wasn't sure based on my position plus if villain's hands were semi-tight and BB was coming along for 1 more sb, I'd rather him be stuck in the middle increasing the pot. bad?

Flop K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="red">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

good flop for my hand. 3-handed, he can't figure me for a King, plus I have the BDFD if behind to AA,KK, AK. BB is probably drawing really thin here too, so i'm not going to check/raise, but wait 'til the turn.

Turn 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="red">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

I figured I'd donkbet this as QQ-TT are drawing thin and might think I'm only semi-bluffing a flush draw rather than a K, and if I'm behind to AA-KK, AK, even if he reraises, I have outs to the flush, and would make the river easier to guess I should fold even though I have TPTK. and, if he only had UI overcards or a smaller pair, it is doubtful he'll bet this turn with 2 other people in the hand, so i'd hate to have this check through.

what do you think? should I play more straightforward or am I thinking pretty well?

deception5 07-29-2005 03:19 PM

Re: first 6-max hand: KQs in SB

I would be tempted to reraise, but calling is good as well. You disguise the strength of your hand, you're out of position, etc. I like to try and knock out the BB though.

Since you didn't raise preflop, I would lead the flop. This doesn't indicate huge strength and UTG's reaction would give a pretty good indication of whether he has a better hand. He's not letting go of his premium hand on the flop regardless.

@bsolute_luck 07-29-2005 03:22 PM

if you had QQ-TT or UI overcards you wouldn't let them go if bet into? that's what i didn't want to happen and figured would happen if i bet into him.

Marquis 07-29-2005 03:25 PM

The way you played it preflop, I'd checkraise the flop.

deception5 07-29-2005 03:25 PM

I don't think he's giving you credit for a king if you lead out on the flop after just calling preflop. You also said he'd call down with 2nd pair so there's a good chance he's not letting go of QQ-TT.

deception5 07-29-2005 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not crazy about this. Our hand is likely the best and the only possible draw is a straight draw. There are only too opponents. I'm more concerned with extracting the maximum here than knocking out the BB after the flop.

Marquis 07-29-2005 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not crazy about this. Our hand is likely the best and the only possible draw is a straight draw. There are only too opponents. I'm more concerned with extracting the maximum here than knocking out the BB after the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

"BB is just a loose/passive doofus who typically calls to at least the turn on any draw/pair regardless of board."

He'll call anyway.

@bsolute_luck 07-29-2005 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think he's giving you credit for a king if you lead out on the flop after just calling preflop. You also said he'd call down with 2nd pair so there's a good chance he's not letting go of QQ-TT.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i did say that. i was also wondering when i get in this same situation what is suggested to do. would you call this? - remember i'm a basic unknown to this guy other than knowing i don't cold call, haven't 3-bet preflop, or gone to a showdown yet.

forgive me if it sounds like i'm simply just arguing your points, but since this is my first shot at 6-max, i figure i have some lines of thinking to adjust: the hands my opponents play, hands i play, and what my opponents think i have.

would you call down if you didn't have the K? because if you call the flop and i'm donkbetting you with an 8, i'm probably going to bet again on the turn.

or maybe i should ask what would you do if you had the 8- say A8s with a BDFD? would you donkbet this?

@bsolute_luck 07-29-2005 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BB is just a loose/passive doofus who typically calls to at least the turn on any draw/pair regardless of board."

He'll call anyway

[/ QUOTE ]

okay, maybe i should be more definitive in my description. he's a doofus, but he isn't a "calling 2 bets back with nothing" doofus. but he will call w/o the K.

plus my c/r i figured would #1 fold BB, and #2 scare UTG into folding on the flop or the turn UI, so i didn't want either of these to happen.

deception5 07-29-2005 03:38 PM

With no reads I would probably raise you on the flop.