Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   $11: Should I even be playing? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=405960)

12-27-2005 03:58 PM

$11: Should I even be playing?

Broader question: Are SNGs where I belong?

From having read the FAQ on STTs and many of the threads, I sense that my style of play is somewhat at odds with the 2+2 conventional wisdom on how to maximize ROI. Which isn't to say that any of the CW is wrong -- in fact, just from lurking I've learned tons from everyone's insights about mini-raises, the magnified gap theory at the bubble, and push-or-fold generally.

Thing is, I can only play an hour or two most nights. Which rules out MTTs. And I'm uncomfortable with the swings of a ring game. If I lose, I'd rather it be capped at $11 or $22 per night. So STTs are probably my only option. But it may take a couple of years before I can accumulate enough SNGs to discern anything statistically significant about my skill level. If I can't play enough to discern whether I belong at $11, should I simply not bother with STTs and try to play MTTs when/if I have the time? Does this also mean PokerTracker won't be as useful?

It seems like the preferred method on the STT boards to make money (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is to maximize ROI x volume of tables. But to what extent do the insights about STT apply to those who only want to play one SNG at a time, and can probably only play one or two per night? Maybe the strategy isn't any different. I'd like to know now before the bad variance karma hits.

No point in n00bishly posting my ROI in just 18 SNGs. But I think I can hold my own at $11s -- I've read both HOHs so I'm probably not a complete donk.

(Just for kicks, I tried once at $22 and immediately felt off-balance. None of my moves at $11 worked, and it seemed like everyone zagged when I zigged.)

ZBTHorton 12-27-2005 04:01 PM

Re: $11: Should I even be playing?

It seems like your trying to play poker for a living, 1-2 hours a day. Which obviously isn't entirely possible.

If you enjoy playing SNG's, then play them. The 11's are fairly easy. It won't take a whole lot of practice to get you used to them. Read the forum.

Also, SNG's don't always require alot of 'zigging' and 'zagging'. Possibly you are trying a few too many 'moves'.

Hendricks433 12-27-2005 04:04 PM

MTT's have the biggest variance. Just play what ever is most fun for you. Sounds like its gonna be more of a hobby for you but you want it to be like a job. Just have fun with it.

12-27-2005 04:11 PM

the strategy for making money should be no different for playing 1 $11 at a time versus playing sets of 10 four times a day.

that being said, the conventional wisdom is very straightforward for those games, and i think you'll find that if you follow that strategy, you'll be interested in playing more than once a day...

12-27-2005 04:18 PM

I work long hours at a big evil law firm and am definitely not playing poker as a source of income.

But like everyone else, I do want to win if I play. What I like about poker is that a range of approaches -- from Doyle to Harrington -- can be very successful. But if y'all are saying that the range of approach for success at STTs is much smaller, maybe my time is better spent playing a different type of tournament?

12-27-2005 04:38 PM

here's the thing... you have to make a decision: are you playing as an income source or for enjoyment?

you say you want to play to win, which is all well and good, but the style of play that will win you the most STTs may not be the most "fun." to be honest, the first 3-4 levels of your tournament may in fact be boring, with you potentially playing fewer than 4 hands.

i'm not saying that there aren't ranges of approaches to win STTs, but i think the general consensus here is that there is certainly one approach that works exceedingly well, which at the lower buy-ins, is a more mechanical approach: tight early, aggressive late.

if that's not your bag, maybe try other games? PLO is good times.

Jbrochu 12-27-2005 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But like everyone else, I do want to win if I play. What I like about poker is that a range of approaches -- from Doyle to Harrington -- can be very successful. But if y'all are saying that the range of approach for success at STTs is much smaller, maybe my time is better spent playing a different type of tournament?

[/ QUOTE ]

My advice if you're playing for fun on a limited income (at least limited in regards to what you're willing to risk) is to play at a deeper stack site with slow blinds.

The regular Stars games and the games at Full Tilt would both be good for what I believe you're looking for.

12-27-2005 04:54 PM

Ah yes, the question I forgot to ask initially was whether there's an implicit assumption that the advice on these threads is primarily geared for STT at PP where you start off with fewer BBs.

In fact, I have been playing at FTP where you start off with t1500 (i.e., 50 BBs). Which may partially explain why I've been more successful (though again, in a tiny sample) there than if I had played at PP.

If I'm playing in a STT with deeper stacks, which elements of the CW are equally (if not more) applicable to the optimal approach?

11t 12-27-2005 04:57 PM

I suggest you settle with the fact that poker is just a fun past time.

12-27-2005 05:03 PM

the majority of the high-volume posters play on PP, but not everybody. there's a fair # of folks that play the turbos on stars and even the regular stars SnGs, where you start with 1500 chips (75 BB). as with most situations, with deeper stacks, you can loosen up earlier, and you will have to play more post-flop.