Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   When did James Dungy become John Lennon? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=406137)

istewart 12-27-2005 07:59 PM

When did James Dungy become John Lennon?

Seriously, wtf.

EricW 12-27-2005 09:31 PM

Re: When did James Dungy become John Lennon?

I know. It's really pissing me off. The dude took his own life. Now I don't know what kind of issues he had so it's certainly wrong to say that he deserved to die. However, this is by no means a "tragedy".

A tragedy is when someone is going to help the poor but then gets run over by a car and dies. Someone taking their own life is not a tragedy.

Furthermore, people die all the time. It's ridiculous that this guy is getting so much media time just because he's a famous coach's son.

B Dids 12-27-2005 10:06 PM

You're way off base here.

It's a really sad thing for somebody to have to bury their son, sadder when it's a suicide.

I think I get istewart's point, but to suggest that this isn't a "tragedy" is just pathetic.

tdarko 12-27-2005 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're way off base here.

It's a really sad thing for somebody to have to bury their son, sadder when it's a suicide.

I think I get istewart's point, but to suggest that this isn't a "tragedy" is just pathetic.

[/ QUOTE ]
exactly.

what i am getting out of this is that everyone is feeling for tony dungy in a time of turmoil for him. this must be a whirlwind of emotions for him right now with everything that is going on in his professional life colliding with his personal life.

no matter how your son dies it will crush you in pieces that you simply cannot fathom and then to have to deal with in the public eye i would have to imagine makes it tougher.

the kid himself should be used as an example that nothing is ever worth ending your life for and he is certainly not john lennon but to get pissed when people are pouring their hearts out for the dungy family is [censored] childish.

12-27-2005 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know. It's really pissing me off. The dude took his own life. Now I don't know what kind of issues he had so it's certainly wrong to say that he deserved to die. However, this is by no means a "tragedy".

A tragedy is when someone is going to help the poor but then gets run over by a car and dies. Someone taking their own life is not a tragedy.

Furthermore, people die all the time. It's ridiculous that this guy is getting so much media time just because he's a famous coach's son.

[/ QUOTE ]

He isn't just a famous coach. According to many of his colleagues, he's the most well-liked and respected in the league. And no, the fact that it was a suicide does not mean it was not a tragedy, simply because it doesn't fit a literal and narrow definition. This event has touched more people than you may realize, even if you're not among them.

HopeydaFish 12-27-2005 11:35 PM

Was it ever settled as to whether the James Dungy Myspace was really his? From what I've read, it appears that it was. I feel sympathy for the Dungy family, but I also can't help but feel that ths kid was a nasty piece of work.

Jack of Arcades 12-27-2005 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, that's pretty much the definition of tragedy. Guy has issues, leads to his downfall. Didn't you ever take ENG 101?

12-28-2005 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, wtf.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I can see how this would be a major disruption of your daily life. I'm sure the world will return to normal in a few months, and you can return to the important things you do, at least until the 1 year commemorative services.

(In case you haven't figured it out, this whole thing has nothing to do with JAMES Dungy.)

gumpzilla 12-28-2005 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

the kid himself should be used as an example that nothing is ever worth ending your life for and he is certainly not john lennon but to get pissed when people are pouring their hearts out for the dungy family is [censored] childish.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's istewart, what do you expect?

TheNoodleMan 12-28-2005 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Was it ever settled as to whether the James Dungy Myspace was really his?

[/ QUOTE ]
FWIW, the Indy Star has referenced it as legit.

As to the OP, you should really think about getting a life that extends beyond sportscenter.

12-28-2005 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

As to the OP, you should really think about getting a life that extends beyond sportscenter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Judging from recent posts, a life as relevant as Sportscenter would be a major aspiration.

12-28-2005 03:07 AM

I'm pretty sure James Dungy has been elevated from John Lennon status to Jesus status.

12-28-2005 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure James Dungy has been elevated from John Lennon status to Jesus status.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone has his head in the sand (or some place else where the sun don't shine). This whole thing has been about Tony Dungy. I have not seen a single personal item or fact about James in the media except as it relates to Tony or the Colts. All of the weeeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth on the networks, and especially on ESPN, have focussed on first, Tony; second, the Colts; and third, the remaining Dungy family.

istewart 12-28-2005 03:42 AM

I know who its about. But honestly Tony Dungy and his "I go to church seven days a week" paragon status is quite gay as it is, and I don't need to hear about every time the car hits the brakes in the funeral procession.

It really would be one thing if the Colts had been undefeated going into Seattle (I'm not saying this as a bastard, but obviously that would be worth some headlines) but this is not interesting.

Victor 12-28-2005 03:51 AM

i agree, espn should show more dunks.

12-28-2005 04:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know who its about. But honestly Tony Dungy and his "I go to church seven days a week" paragon status is quite gay as it is, and I don't need to hear about every time the car hits the brakes in the funeral procession.

It really would be one thing if the Colts had been undefeated going into Seattle (I'm not saying this as a bastard, but obviously that would be worth some headlines) but this is not interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't go to church and I don't believe in God. But some very intelligent and sincere people do, and to ridicule their reliance on their faith in a time of crisis as "gay" is beneath contempt.

But I have to grant you that if Dungy's faith was really strong enough, the Colts would have been undefeated, and that would be a good story. If not a genuine miracle. And well worth the death of a son. Would that be interesting enough for you?????

EricW 12-28-2005 04:26 AM

Well, looks like a lot of people disagree with my but that's fine.

If we are taking a straight literary definition of tragedy, then yes, this is a tragedy. However, most of the public does not see the definition of tragedy this way.

I never said he deserved to die or that he got what he deserved and I never said it's not very saddening for Tony Dungy and his family. All I'm saying is that it's not a big deal.

Why am I saying that? Well when I'm watching football games, they're doing a moment of silence of James Dungy. But why? People die ALL the time. Many of those people who die, die from more unfortunate circumstances. Do these people and their families get all this sympathy from the masses? No. They're just another statistic.

To give James Dungy and his family all this attention is unjust. It's basically saying that his life and his family's life is more valuable than the loads of others who die everyday.

12-28-2005 05:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

To give James Dungy and his family all this attention is unjust. It's basically saying that his life and his family's life is more valuable than the loads of others who die everyday.

[/ QUOTE ]

BULLETIN BULLETIN BULLETIN

This just in: Life is unjust!!!!!

And now back to our regularly scheduled programs. We return you now to the Jerry Springer Show, where we will pay a lot more attention to the lives of some trailer-trash in-bred red necks than to people who lead decent (i.e., boring) lives.

TheRover 12-28-2005 05:04 AM

Why are you douchebags argueing about this? Seriously, wtf.

JayLear 12-28-2005 08:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BULLETIN BULLETIN BULLETIN

This just in: Life is unjust!!!!!

And now back to our regularly scheduled programs. We return you now to the Jerry Springer Show, where we will pay a lot more attention to the lives of some trailer-trash in-bred red necks than to people who lead decent (i.e., boring) lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

Soapbox alert...

12-28-2005 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This raises a question, at least to me. All we've heard since James's death is about Tony Dungy's extremely strong faith. After the funeral, Tony Dungy remarked about James having "accepted Jesus" or something like that.

Everyone's entitled to believe whatever they want, of course. But why is this ultra-religion stuff considered to be such an absolute virtue? Isn't it possible that Tony's pushing this Jesus stuff on James was part of the problem? Why isn't anyone willing to discuss this possibility?

sublime 12-28-2005 10:53 AM

But why is this ultra-religion stuff considered to be such an absolute virtue?

ding ding ding

B Dids 12-28-2005 11:58 AM

I don't think it's that "ultra-religion" is a virture as much as it's that by all report TD is a very virturious guy who happens to be ultra religious.

12-28-2005 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't it possible that Tony's pushing this Jesus stuff on James was part of the problem? Why isn't anyone willing to discuss this possibility?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I know that if I was 18 again, and my dad wanted me to go to church, and I didn't feel like it, I'd kill myself, too.

Screw the whole...moving out now that I'm an adult, and living my own life thing. I'll just terminate my person.

12-28-2005 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't it possible that Tony's pushing this Jesus stuff on James was part of the problem? Why isn't anyone willing to discuss this possibility?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I know that if I was 18 again, and my dad wanted me to go to church, and I didn't feel like it, I'd kill myself, too.

Screw the whole...moving out now that I'm an adult, and living my own life thing. I'll just terminate my person.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I gave up responding to stupid posts for lent.

12-28-2005 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK...so what posts have you not responded to?

You aren't one of those: "Oh man my parents want me to do something that I don't wanna do...I'm gonna go kill myself." types, are you?

12-28-2005 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK...so what posts have you not responded to?

You aren't one of those: "Oh man my parents want me to do something that I don't wanna do...I'm gonna go kill myself." types, are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

You've horribly oversimplified the issue. If that's not obvious to you, well, there's nothing else I can say.

tdarko 12-28-2005 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You've horribly oversimplified the issue. If that's not obvious to you, well, there's nothing else I can say.

[/ QUOTE ]
he could say you are oversimplifying the issue when saying that religion played a part.

why does religion have to be the problem? it certainly could be part of the problem, but if anyone on this forum thinks they know what this kid was thinking then they think too highly of themselves.

usually when a teenager commits suicide its cause is chronic, something that has been embedded and it may have been religion but it could be a combination of problems as well since we don't know this kid from any other stranger in the world.

ThaSaltCracka 12-28-2005 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But why is this ultra-religion stuff considered to be such an absolute virtue? Isn't it possible that Tony's pushing this Jesus stuff on James was part of the problem? Why isn't anyone willing to discuss this possibility?

[/ QUOTE ] first of all, this discussion belongs in a different forum. However, the notion that James killed himself because of his parents hardcore faith is absurd, and is something that only an atheist or secularist would believe. James killed himself because he had some sort of internal strife/demons. Using religion as the scapegoat is the easy route for those who do not believe. I think most rational people will agree that there was most likely something fundamentally wrong with his mental self that led him to kill himself.

12-28-2005 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why does religion have to be the problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say it had to be the problem. I said it might be the problem, an issue nobody seems willing to discuss. Instead they paint Tony D. has some great human being because of his deep faith, ad nauseum.

[ QUOTE ]
it certainly could be part of the problem, but if anyone on this forum thinks they know what this kid was thinking then they think too highly of themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. Completely.

ThaSaltCracka 12-28-2005 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Instead they paint Tony D. has some great human being because of his deep faith, ad nauseum.

[/ QUOTE ] if he truely embodies the Christian beliefs, than IMO he is a great human being.

12-28-2005 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But why is this ultra-religion stuff considered to be such an absolute virtue? Isn't it possible that Tony's pushing this Jesus stuff on James was part of the problem? Why isn't anyone willing to discuss this possibility?

[/ QUOTE ] first of all, this discussion belongs in a different forum. However, the notion that James killed himself because of his parents hardcore faith is absurd, and is something that only an atheist or secularist would believe. James killed himself because he had some sort of internal strife/demons. Using religion as the scapegoat is the easy route for those who do not believe. I think most rational people will agree that there was most likely something fundamentally wrong with his mental self that led him to kill himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an irrational response. Nobody said he killed himself "because of his parents' hardcore faith", and nobody is making religion a "scapegoat". Damn what is it, the minute someone questions religion, some people get all bent out of shape? And you must be a "nonbeliever" if you question religion? I'm not a "nonbeliever". Don't jump to conclusions.

Out of fear of being branded of having this discussion in the "wrong forum", I'll end my participation here.

ThaSaltCracka 12-28-2005 03:29 PM

This: [ QUOTE ]
Isn't it possible that Tony's pushing this Jesus stuff on James was part of the problem? Why isn't anyone willing to discuss this possibility

[/ QUOTE ]
goes hand in hand with: [ QUOTE ]
Nobody said he killed himself "because of his parents' hardcore faith", and nobody is making religion a "scapegoat".

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Damn what is it, the minute someone questions religion, some people get all bent out of shape?

[/ QUOTE ] It is not a matter of question religion, in fact I am all for that. Its people trying to place blame, even subvertly, on something that more than likely has nothing to do with the issue. People have been doing this a lot recently in America regarding religion.

tdarko 12-28-2005 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if he truely embodies the Christian beliefs, than IMO he is a great human being.

[/ QUOTE ]
i don't think there has ever been anything bad said about him from what i recall. he seems down to earth and caring which shows that tragedy touches all individuals no matter how you lead your life, b/c its life.

Drew16 12-28-2005 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He isn't just a famous coach. According to many of his colleagues, he's the most well-liked and respected in the league. And no, the fact that it was a suicide does not mean it was not a tragedy, simply because it doesn't fit a literal and narrow definition. This event has touched more people than you may realize, even if you're not among them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I recently met coach Dungy and he is an unbelievably nice guy. I talked with him for about 20 mins and all he talked about was his kids. Thats why people that know him are making such a big deal about it.