Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   red 88...play along with me (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=386603)

PokerBob 11-28-2005 03:25 AM

red 88...play along with me

Canterbury 15/30 9 handed
UTG+1 is the only decent player in the game. UTG limps, UTG+1 limps, UTG+2 limps, 1 fold, 2 more limpers to me on the button with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and I......state what you do and why.

imported_stealthcow 11-28-2005 03:43 AM

Re: red 88...play along with me

you gotta raise. you're getting somewhere between 6-7 to 1 and dont need much more to get odds to raise for equity along. include your postflop edge, and you should raise it up. also, making the pot bigger on the flop will occasionally make it okay for you to draw again on the flop where if you just limp you wont have the odds.

stealthcow-

Entity 11-28-2005 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
also, making the pot bigger on the flop will occasionally make it okay for you to draw again on the flop where if you just limp you wont have the odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is that a good thing? I don't disagree with a raise here but I really don't like it when people post that you should bloat the pot preflop so that you help yourself find the turn.

Rob

Joe Tall 11-28-2005 03:50 AM

Sometimes I limp, most of the time I raise. It's a great time to mix up your play in an EV neutral situation.

imported_stealthcow 11-28-2005 03:53 AM

to be 100% honest, the idea of bloating the pot has been one of the things i have planned on looking into if its worth it or not in terms of increasing your equity becuase you'll be in fighting for a pot that you normally wouldn't be in. so i haven't done the math yet, but i think* it is either a completely =ev play that only increases your variance, or slightly +ev. but that doesn't include the amount of times both blinds fold, blanks flop and your continuation bet narrows down the field. ( although thats rare as well, and pretty slight if the opponents are as i suspect)

stealthcow-

Entity 11-28-2005 03:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes I limp, most of the time I raise. It's a great time to mix up your play in an EV neutral situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I think I'm almost exactly the opposite. Of course, this is online. Live I think I'd be more inclined to raise and online I'm more inclined to limp -- I'm probably about 75/25 limping/raising here.

Rob

NLSoldier 11-28-2005 03:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Surfbullet 11-28-2005 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Me2. what's the flop? maybe you flopped a set! That'd be awesome.

Surf

NLSoldier 11-28-2005 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Surf

[/ QUOTE ]

my guess is that hes gonna turn one.

DeathDonkey 11-28-2005 05:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Surf

[/ QUOTE ]

my guess is that hes gonna turn one.

[/ QUOTE ]

And still lose [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I raise preflop - raising is fun.

-DeathDonkey