Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Rank these albums (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=276495)

Ulysses 06-20-2005 02:16 AM

Rank these albums

A number of artists I really like have recently released albums. And I've heard great things about some new bands. So I'm going to Virgin this week to buy some CDs 'cuz they have a lot of them on sale right now. Yes, that's how I get my music, by buying CDs. No need to comment on that. However, any comments on the latest releases by these artists (which of these are essential purchases, which are disappointing) would be appreciated. I haven't bought CDs in a while, so if there are any CDs you think I should consider based on this list, feel free to suggest them too.

Arcade Fire
Audioslave
Beck
Bloc Party
Coldplay
Foo Fighters
The Go! Team
Gorillaz
Stephen Malkmus
Sleater Kinney
Weezer
White Stripes

ThaSaltCracka 06-20-2005 02:20 AM

Re: Rank these albums

I like both the Foos CD and the Gorillaz CD. Haven't heard any of the others.

SippinSoma 06-20-2005 02:22 AM

Coldplay and Gorillaz are must-buys. Audioslave is also good.

ClassicBob 06-20-2005 02:22 AM

The Go! Team
Gorillaz/White Stripes
Beck
Audioslave

Of the albums that I have given a good thorough listening, I would go with these rankings. I've heard some of the others, but haven't fully listened to them enough to pass judgment.

istewart 06-20-2005 02:29 AM

The Arcade Fire - Funeral

You must buy this. Probably the best album of last year. Dunno what else you like, but I'm guessing you like everything, and therefore you will like this.

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

Incredibly catchy, good stuff. Comparable to Franz Ferdinand / The Rapture, I guess, just a lot better.

Redmen62 06-20-2005 02:31 AM

Audioslave was a (mild) disappointment for me. Less great songs than the debut. Worth buying still, IMO.

waffle 06-20-2005 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Arcade Fire - Funeral

You must buy this. Probably the best album of last year. Dunno what else you like, but I'm guessing you like everything, and therefore you will like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Christ, am I the only one that hasn't been incredibly moved by this album? Some of my friends who don't even like indie rock have told me the above statement.

Macdaddy Warsaw 06-20-2005 02:39 AM

I was like Oh man THIS IS AWESOME when I heard it, but now I'm really like, meh about the whole thing.

I'd say get The Go! Team album for sure.

captZEEbo1 06-20-2005 02:40 AM

Arcade Fire - by far most essential
Audioslave - meh
Beck - good, not as good as other beck albums, but a fun album, to say the least
Bloc Party - pretty good
Coldplay - meh, sounds a lot like the rest of coldplay's stuff (which is really good, but just nothing new here)
Foo Fighters - good
The Go! Team - essential
Gorillaz - good, some fun tracks, some throwaways
Stephen Malkmus - haven't had a chance to listen, but heard great things
Sleater Kinney - haven't had a chance to listen, but heard great things
Weezer - meh, nothing special, first two are still the best by far
White Stripes - I really really like the album, a little different than their other albums. There are a few throwaways, but overall it was really worth the purchase (perhaps some bias, b/c they are one of my fav bands).

You might like Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat; it's a really good indie pop album.

BreakEvenPlayer 06-20-2005 02:43 AM

Despite the lame singles "Beverly Hills" and "We're All on Drugs," the new Weezer CD is really good.

Beck's Guero is the best album I've heard this year. The song "Earthquake Weather" is the best track I've heard this year.

New Gorillaz is good, really has grown on me.