Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Gave my 2 week notice (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=407144)

BIGRED 12-29-2005 02:32 PM

Gave my 2 week notice

I never thought I would actually do this, but I did. I gave my 2 week notice at my IT job and will try this poker thing full time for a while.

I'm probably the least qualified person to be trying this based on the common advice on going "pro" because I am married and have significant financial repsonsibilities, which is the reason why it took me 2 years of contemplating to finally come to this decision. But now that I finally did, I feel free and excited, and I am also certain that it was the right move.

Leaving my IT job was a tough decision to make financially because I will have to make up for the missing income with poker on top of what I was already doing with it on the side in order to maintain my current standard of living. The most likely scenario is that I will cut back on some of the luxuries I've (unwisely) built up to lessen some of the financial burdens.

I know as well as you guys that the ideal thing to do is to keep poker on the side and continue with your regular job. I wanted to keep it that way as much as possible, but poker has gotten to be more than just a hobby now and as a result, I've beem losing motivation at work, and decided I should focus my energy on one thing. It was also very tough keeping up with 8 hours at work and another 4-5 hours of poker at night.

As I've already mentioned, leaving my job was a tough decision to make financially, but at all other levels, it was an easy decision because I know my heart is not in the IT field anymore. Other than poker, I'm not really sure what I want to do, which is not a good thing, but I hope to use this "break" to also do some soul searching.

Everyone in my life thinks I'm crazy, including myself, but I know there's a good chance that I will make it. I don't have a definite fall back plan, but as much as I would hate to do it, I can always go back to getting another IT job. I've also always thought about starting a small bagel shop or something along those lines (something non corporate) so this will also be a good time to give more serious thought to that.

No one knows me here and most of you probably won't care, but I wanted to mark the start of this new journey with a post here so perhaps one day I can look back at this for whatever it's worth.

Here I go !!!!

12-29-2005 02:37 PM

Re: Gave my 2 week notice

Good Luck buddy. Can I have your old job?

12-29-2005 02:41 PM

Congratulations on having the guts to leave the known for the unknown. That you left your job to play poker is irrelevant. That you left your job to pursue a passion...that is what matters.

So...when do you plan to tell the wife? [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

BIGRED 12-29-2005 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good Luck buddy. Can I have your old job?

[/ QUOTE ]
I see you are in Meriden CT. My job is in Stamford, CT so if you know Informatica and Database programming, go for it. The job sucks tho, but the benefits were the best I've had in my IT career.

BIGRED 12-29-2005 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So...when do you plan to tell the wife? [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea... she didn't take it too well, understandably, but she's supportive.

12-29-2005 03:04 PM

Yeah I just got Cisco cert. so I am working my up at a software company in Branford, CT

AviD 12-29-2005 03:11 PM

Good luck man, that's a huge leap to leave a secure gig for poker. Hope everything works out.

KowCiller 12-29-2005 03:21 PM

Just curious about the limits/stakes you play and winrate type info.

Congrats on having the stones to make the leap. I certainly dont have them [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I wish you the best.

KoW

BIGRED 12-29-2005 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just curious about the limits/stakes you play and winrate type info.

Congrats on having the stones to make the leap. I certainly dont have them [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I wish you the best.

KoW

[/ QUOTE ]

I play 10/20 full and I go at about 1BB/100. That winrate is not spectacular, but based on the amount of hands I play now and what I expect to be playing after I leave, plus the RB I get based on that volume, the numbers work out.

Hopefully, I can up the winrate a bit so I don't have to put in so much volume, but I have no problems pumping out hands.

12-29-2005 03:38 PM

Good luck! I'm about 2 weeks behind you I think. I don't have any wife or kids, just a bunch of debt. Can't quite pull the trigger yet, but very close.