Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Someone's gotta be fired on the Yanks (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=265009)

shadyridr 06-03-2005 09:21 AM

Someone\'s gotta be fired on the Yanks

Either Cashman or Stottlemyre. Actually, in a prefect world it would be Steinbrenner but that's not gonna happen. This team has become a laughing stock. Some great moves this offseason: signing one year wonders Pavano & Wright, trading proven young stud who had 1 rough half due to shoulder tightness in Vazquez for a 41 year old (who we then extended for 3 years), also trading in that deal a young catcher and Brad Halsey who has an ERA under 3.00, letting Leiber go. Our best pitcher is Chien Ming-Wang for God sakes.

hoopsie44 06-03-2005 09:35 AM

Re: Someone\'s gotta be fired on the Yanks

What input did Stottlemyre have on any of these moves ? And did you feel the same way about the Johnson trade when it was completed back in December ?

shadyridr 06-03-2005 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What input did Stottlemyre have on any of these moves ? And did you feel the same way about the Johnson trade when it was completed back in December ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't on this board yet so I guess you'll just have to trust me but I told everyone I liked Vazquez and didnt want to deal him. If they couldve gotten Johnson another way I wouldnt have minded but I know that was not possible. I did not like the deal at all.

bisonbison 06-03-2005 09:38 AM

How about firing Womack, Williams and Giambi? That'd be a start.

Oh, wait, no better options in the farm system, no prospects to trade, huge bloated contracts.

Have fun!

hoopsie44 06-03-2005 09:46 AM

I agree with you. Anytime you trade a 28 year old pitcher for a 41 year old plus throw in 2 prospects it is a dangerous move. But it cracks me up when I hear all these media types rip the Yankees for the trade and back when the trade was made the general consensus was that the Johnson trade would assure the Yanks the World Series this year. Speaking of bad moves, I'd rather have Miguel Cairo instead of Tony Womack and letting Jon Leiber go was a mistake.

shadyridr 06-03-2005 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Oh, wait, no better options in the farm system, no prospects to trade, huge bloated contracts.

Have fun!

[/ QUOTE ]

Womack misplayed an easy line drive yesterday in LF. Womack should be moved back to 2B, Williams to LF, and Cano back to the minors. I like Cano but he's a rookie and needs some more developmental time.

shadyridr 06-03-2005 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Speaking of bad moves, I'd rather have Miguel Cairo instead of Tony Womack

[/ QUOTE ]

When they did this move I hated it and wouldve agreed with you but I think now it was the right move. Womack adds a dimension you just cant get with Cairo in speed.

bd8802 06-03-2005 10:12 AM

and when they go on another little mini-winning streak (by sweeping the devil rays and tigers) everyone will jump back on the Yankee band-wagon. It is really sickening.

YANKEES IS TH3 SUCK / AW3SOME (circle one depending on week)

But watching the Royals sweep them was [censored] awesome.

Voltron87 06-03-2005 10:19 AM

Obviously these last 5 games have not been fun. I still like our chances, but the series against the Royals has been a huge setback.

Jack of Arcades 06-03-2005 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Have fun!

[/ QUOTE ]

Womack misplayed an easy line drive yesterday in LF. Womack should be moved back to 2B, Williams to LF, and Cano back to the minors. I like Cano but he's a rookie and needs some more developmental time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Womack should not be starting over Cano.

Pocket Trips 06-03-2005 10:22 AM

Get ready for some bad baseball from the yankees after this year. They can and probably will recover to at least make the playoffs this year, but just like in the early 80's Steinbrenner just couldn't handle merely having a "competitive" team he wanted to dominate the competition. You would think he had learned his lesson when he destroyed the yankees of the late 80's by trading away a shitoad of great prospects for aging superstars that never really gelled as a team (sound familiar). For the next 10 years or so we will watch as other teams succeed with our prosects that we traded for guys who will be retired in 3 years. There was not a single move this offseason that didn't have Steinbrenner all over it. Unfortunately for him Cashman will pay the price even though now he is only the GM in title only

-Skeme- 06-03-2005 10:36 AM

Can Steinbrenner just [censored] move the Yankees?

Pocket Trips 06-03-2005 10:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can Steinbrenner just [censored] move the Yankees?

[/ QUOTE ]

We don't get to Steinbrenner till the 3rd year of law school

TStoneMBD 06-03-2005 10:39 AM

after seeing the kc sweep, my hopes have diminished quite a bit. i think that could very well have been the nail in the coffin.

andyfox 06-03-2005 11:33 AM

The Yankees have averaged only seven hits a game over the past six games. Don't know what firing Mel will do. One would think perhaps Mattingly might be in jeopardy.

It's just not a very good team. It happens. They've made the post-season every year since 1995.

jakethebake 06-03-2005 11:36 AM

Costanza

wh1t3bread 06-03-2005 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Womack adds a dimension you just cant get with Cairo in speed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know Womack is fast, but is he really that much faster or aggressive on the basepaths than Cairo?

The stats say: "not really":

Womack: 16SB (188 AB, .310 OBP)
Cairo: 7SB (88 AB, .333 OBP)

Cairo > Womack.

Jack of Arcades 06-03-2005 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When they did this move I hated it and wouldve agreed with you but I think now it was the right move. Womack adds a dimension you just cant get with Cairo in speed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cairo adds a dimension you just can't get with Womack, in talent.

shadyridr 06-03-2005 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cairo adds a dimension you just can't get with Womack, in talent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Cairo's been a backup his whole career, Womack has been a starter. I think Womack clearly has more talent and the thing most Yanks fans liked about Cairo is his intangibles (good clutch hitter, plays hard, etc).

bisonbison 06-03-2005 12:16 PM

http://www.baseball-reference.com/w/womacto01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/cairomi01.shtml

Cairo's better and younger.

shadyridr 06-03-2005 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Yankees have averaged only seven hits a game over the past six games. Don't know what firing Mel will do. One would think perhaps Mattingly might be in jeopardy.

It's just not a very good team. It happens. They've made the post-season every year since 1995.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're just in a hitting slump. Every team goes through them. Before this stretch I believe they were 1st in RS and among the leaders in most offensive categories. Its their pitching that's gonna suck all year.

siccjay 06-03-2005 01:03 PM

Neither are really worth a [censored].

You would think someone at the Yanks could realize that last year was a miracle year for Womack. Even then, for a fast guy his OBP really sucks. His career OBP isn't even .320.

wdcbooks 06-03-2005 01:12 PM

The Yankees are in trouble and it's been a long time in the making. I believe the problem this time can't be fixed by the Steinbrenner method of hiring and firing. The telling moment was last season when they couldn't get Randy Johnson for the stretch run because they had no prospects and no farm system to tempt the D-Backs.

There is a limit to what they can spend, and the amount of money being spent on useless contracts is building. They are old, injury prone, and lack any semblance of team chemistry. All that being said, they are still one of the best teams in the game with their roster of purchased talent. That will fade unless they constantly restock with free agents.

I think we are entering a period of several years of .500 baseball for the Yankees while they clear the contracts of some of their worst mistakes, groom some home grown talent, and get drastically younger at every position. Steinbrenner's money creates the illusion that everything is fine, but this pattern of mismanagement just isn't sustainable.

Shajen 06-03-2005 01:22 PM

And I'll be loving every single minute of that "rebuilding" period. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

tbach24 06-03-2005 01:24 PM

The only way to make the Yankees better is to get a new person who signs/fires players. Like an actual GM, not like Cashman.

hoopsie44 06-03-2005 01:29 PM

You would also have to have a new owner to achieve this.

bisonbison 06-03-2005 01:45 PM

Neither are really worth a [censored].

We're both right!

shadyridr 06-03-2005 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.baseball-reference.com/w/womacto01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/cairomi01.shtml

Cairo's better and younger.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]I wont disagree with the younger part but according to those links their career percentages are VERY similar.

Dead 06-03-2005 02:20 PM

You don't know what you're talking about. Halsey is overrated. He is pitching in an easy division in the National League. If he came back to NY right now, his ERA would be over 5.

I do agree with you that we should not have let Vazquez go. Trading for Randy Johnson was definitely a stupid idea, when Vazquez was only 28 and had proven that he could pitch in NY the first half of the season. God I wish we had him back. I wish we had Lieber and a healthy El Duque back as well.

But true Yankees fans will persevere. We've been through much worse than this: 1982-1995, for example. I just hope that this is not a repeat of 1965.

Dead 06-03-2005 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
after seeing the kc sweep, my hopes have diminished quite a bit. i think that could very well have been the nail in the coffin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never knew you were a Yankee fan.

Voltron87 06-03-2005 02:28 PM

I really don't think we're in as much trouble as everyone thinks. I think all the Yankee fans can get off the ledge.

Dead 06-03-2005 02:29 PM

Neither do I.

The team is just going through a rough patch right now. This team is too good to not make the playoffs. And I STILL think we will win the AL East. It starts tonight. Mussina needs to give us a great game, and I think he will.

Our huge winning streak was started by a CG shutout(Mussina) and ended by a CG shutout(Pavano). Pavano and Mussina are our two aces now(Randy is more like the #3). They need to step it up. It all comes back to pitching, although the bats need to do better as well.

One thing I don't get is why Joe keeps switching the F*CKING lineup. Just keep it the same Joe. Keep Giambi out of it, and keep Bernie in it.

Here is the best lineup:

Jeter - SS
Womack - LF
Sheffield - RF
Matsui - CF
A-Rod - 3B
Posada - C
Tino - 1B
Williams - DH
Cano- 2B

Let's stick with this one 6 days out of the week.

Voltron87 06-03-2005 02:30 PM

pm me the link to your last mussina avatar pic, im going to switch to it in solidarity.

Dead 06-03-2005 02:33 PM

Done.

You should copy the location I put up too. Or at least a Yankee location.

Voltron87 06-03-2005 02:35 PM

excellent.

Voltron87 06-03-2005 02:35 PM

gotta change mine to match your capitals

Voltron87 06-03-2005 02:36 PM

awesome.

bwhwhwahahaa, its going to give people who blocked you fits when I post.

Dead 06-03-2005 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
awesome.

bwhwhwahahaa, its going to give people who blocked you fits when I post.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Yes yes it will.

ethan 06-03-2005 03:17 PM

Adblock seems to have handled things pretty smoothly.

Dead 06-03-2005 03:22 PM

Good job Barney.