Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Help pimp my crap PC cheaply (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=223354)

Transference 03-31-2005 08:01 AM

Help pimp my crap PC cheaply

Help me maximize my EV by spending the minimal amount of cash.

Here is my super ghetto setup:

700mhz processor
352 RAM
Windows 98
Nvidia Aladdin TNT2 and NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000
1 19" Monitor and 2 17"
1 crappy 200mhz laptop for pokertracker
Free Dialup

This is pretty much a poker only machine. My number one interest is maximizing the number of tables I can play. Currently 3 tables on empire is a shade laggy.

My first guess is that upping my RAM is the most essential upgrade and can be done pretty cheaply. I've also heard that win98 doesnt manage memory well, but I think the RAM upgrade would help more than an OS upgrade. BUT could dial-up be the bottle neck? Should I just upgrade to DSL and keep saving for a new machine?

Obviously the best move is just to replace this thing, but I'm prepared to sink another 200 or so into this one while I save for something better.

Thanks for your suggestions

siccjay 03-31-2005 08:15 AM

Re: Help pimp my crap PC cheaply

nice avatar

Transference 03-31-2005 08:17 AM

Now see, unhelpfull comments like that are exactly the reason I loose the open challenge every month [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

siccjay 03-31-2005 08:20 AM

I couldn't resist, sorry. I sux at comput0rs so I am no help to you.

Nfinity 03-31-2005 08:40 AM

My memory on how the 98 OS works is a little fuzzy, but if I'm correct 98 doesn't utilize RAM at all after a certain amount(356 I think). Best bet is to get a better version of Windows, either 2000 or XP. Herre's what I recommend:

1)Upgrade your RAM a little.
2)If your Hard Drive is kinda small(under 2 gig) buy a bigger one, Maxtor is selling these for cheap nowadays.
3)Get a better OS

Your processor exceeds the Min Requirements for windows XP but if you upgrade this in the near future you'll likely get a lot better performance.

Hope this helps.

kenberman 03-31-2005 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously the best move is just to replace this thing, but I'm prepared to sink another 200 or so into this one while I save for something better.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a mistake, when you can build a whole new computer for around $300, buy a used one for about the same, or a new pre-built one for as low as $400.

for instance, this Fat Wallet deal was $500 for a decent new PC w/ a 17 inch monitor. You could keep the monitor, or sell it for $200 easy, making the new computer only $300.

AgileMike 03-31-2005 10:56 AM

I second what Ken said. You are completely wasting your money updating that computer. Buy a new one, or a "new to you" used computer.

AncientPC 03-31-2005 11:08 AM

Buy a new computer, and get someone to build it for you and spend about ~$1k. In my opinion it's better to get a good computer to last you a few years instead of upgrading every 6 months, but that's just me.

wbrumfiel 03-31-2005 12:06 PM

Agreed, you're wasting your $200. Just spend the money on a new computer. Put it on a credit card if you have to

AngryCola 03-31-2005 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Buy a new computer, and get someone to build it for you and spend about ~$1k. In my opinion it's better to get a good computer to last you a few years instead of upgrading every 6 months, but that's just me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, his system is not at all worth upgrading.
But if you can do it yourself, I disagree about never upgrading.

I don't think that I have bought a brand new computer or all the parts for one at once in the last 6 years.
Sure, none of the parts are the same as the original, but you get the idea.

The key is to not buy the expensive upgrades.
One just has to have patience enough to wait for the inevitable drop in prices.