Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Open ended straight draw, small pot (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=402505)

vistaplayer 12-21-2005 01:17 AM

Open ended straight draw, small pot

Hello all,

Here's a hand from tonight:

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (3 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero ???

Do you guys like the check, or would you have bet out? When it comes back to me there are 5BB in the pot. I'm not going to fold but should I raise or just call here?

Thanks.

Jaran 12-21-2005 01:18 AM

Re: Open ended straight draw, small pot

...calls, getting ~5:1 on his money.

-Jaran

Augster 12-21-2005 01:32 AM

Grunch.

I like the bet on the flop.

I bet the turn also. If raised, I can call with all the outs I have.

If UI I can check the river and call one back. Weak I know, but I'm not going to bet/fold because I just can't do it.

The way you played it, with the turn check, I think I just call and am wary if the last diamond comes and if I don't improve.

12-21-2005 01:54 AM

Flop bet is fine. Fold on the turn, the pot is small.

SoftcoreRevolt 12-21-2005 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop bet is fine. Fold on the turn, the pot is small.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it isn't, the pot is 5 BB when it gets to you, more than enough for just the OESD, and your Overcard is probably worth 1 out as well.

MadMat 12-21-2005 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Do you guys like the check, or would you have bet out? When it comes back to me there are 5BB in the pot. I'm not going to fold but should I raise or just call here?

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the turn check, I think betting out here would be bad, you have around 6 or 7 outs, so no equity edge, but getting 5:1 and closing the action a call is fine.

Mat

@bsolute_luck 12-21-2005 07:33 AM

simple odds calculation really. discount your OESD for UTG's possible flush draw + your K is probably good, leaving you with 7-8 outs. so 5-1 is break even.

call.

12-21-2005 07:43 AM

5:1 odds here I call. And if you river a straight when an Ace hit, I think you will get payed off nice. I call and I don't fold the turn here. Even if the pot is small we are getting the appropriate odds and if an Ace comes, I think someone think they just got stronger.

12-21-2005 09:06 AM

grunch

There is no case for either a bet or a raise on the turn. You aren't bet/raising to protect your hand, since you don't have one. You aren't bet/raising since you have large pot equity, because you don't (you're putting in 1/3 of the money, but only winning about 1/6 of the time, so you don't want to jam the pot). You have the odds to see if the SD comes off on the river: check call is the right line here.

12-21-2005 10:02 AM

Grunch:

Call. You have ~8 outs since a diamond K,A,or9 might not win for you. I don't think a T is helpful here. Pot odds easily support a call, but I don't think a raise is the best play.