Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Allin every hand study finished. Post Mortem time. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=352986)

Daliman 10-08-2005 02:37 AM

Allin every hand study finished. Post Mortem time.

Ok, those of you that have been following THIS thread may be happy to know that I finally finished the study. Final results were as follows.

360 $215 SNG's played.
58-42 record when i got Heads Up for Title (HU4T)
478744 total starting chips.

What does all this mean? Not a ton, but here's what I get out of it.

Given my average HU4T starting chipstack of 4787, average would figure to be about 47 wins,(rounding down for big stacks inherent edge.), but I had 58. Did I get lucky? Maybe. Were there times I KNEW my opponet was terrible and hated pushing with equal stacks with 25o only to be called by 94o and be far behind. More than I ever figured on. But what I can say with pretty good authority i feel is that if you think your HU4T game sucks, push from the button every single time if one of you is under 10x BB, period. You won't go far wrong.
Now, for a counter strategy to this, I would recommend first making sure this is what you are up against, and then call with the top 47% or so of hands, just for a bit of added cushion in case he MIGHT have a hand, and even calling looser than that MAY not be terrible, as there is a good chance he will abort pushbot strategy if he sees you are loosening up properly.

-Pushbot HU4T is a viable strategy(which I knew)
-It is likely a better strategy than I was using before (which I suspected)
-I need to push more often in my regular play HU4T from now on (which I suspected)

This was a very good learning experience for me, and I hope some of you got something out of it too. How this, or similar strategies will works at lower levels, I don't know for sure, but I suspect it works better the better your opponents are, to a certain point.

P.S. I forgot to mention that doing this cut down on my average hands played when HU4T pretty significantly, so since time is $$$, it even gives more credence to this style of play.

Jman28 10-08-2005 02:46 AM

Re: Allin every hand study finished. Post Mortem time.

Nice job Dali. I can't believe you got through this. I'd get way too frustrated, and I thought you would too.

One note...
[ QUOTE ]
average would figure to be about 47 wins,(rounding down for big stacks inherent edge.),

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think big stacks heads up have an inherent edge.

EDIT: unless having it causes your opponent to play more correctly.

Irieguy 10-08-2005 03:33 AM

Cool. Thank you for the experiment.

Nothing surprising, but still nice to see how is shakes out over a hundred.

Irieguy

Mr_J 10-08-2005 03:34 AM

In reality this is unexploitable vs most opponents and in most HU situations. Most people just can't change gears quickly enough, and by the time they catch on they're either low enough that pushing any 2 is correct anyway, or they're dead [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

"How this, or similar strategies will works at lower levels"

Even better with 800 stacks.

"but I suspect it works better the better your opponents are"

I'd think it's still better at lower limits, since poorer players can't adapt the change in pace.

"I forgot to mention that doing this cut down on my average hands played when HU4T pretty significantly, so since time is $$$"

That and it allows you to focus on other sngs (good if you play continuously instead of in sets).

Scuba Chuck 10-08-2005 03:43 AM

So, the most important question is ...

How are you gonna play going forward?

bawcerelli 10-08-2005 03:51 AM

probably push from button 90% of the time.

Deuce2High 10-08-2005 04:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
,(rounding down for big stacks inherent edge.),

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that not the opposite of the truth?

Jman28 10-08-2005 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
,(rounding down for big stacks inherent edge.),

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that not the opposite of the truth?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think neither player has an edge based on stack size if they both play correctly.

downtown 10-08-2005 04:29 AM

Experimenting with this strategy really helped my HU game. It's not exactly what I do now, but it's not far off either. Thanks for posting these results.

Deuce2High 10-08-2005 04:34 AM

How do you check your average stack going into heads-up with Poker Tracker?