Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Explanation of Stop-and-go? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=251022)

Ringo_Mojo 05-12-2005 06:23 PM

Explanation of Stop-and-go?

I see it mentioned in a number of posts but I havn't been able to find an actual explanation of what it means. Can somebody explain Stop and Go or link a good example?

deception5 05-12-2005 06:29 PM

Re: Explanation of Stop-and-go?

An example of a stop and go would be:

You have JT.
Flop is JT4. Player bets into you, you raise, player calls.
Turn is a 7 and player bets again.

Notice they stopped the action on the flop and then bet the turn.

@bsolute_luck 05-12-2005 06:34 PM

be careful when someone does it. i have seen a lot of people do it for different reasons. so you have to base your next action on a lot of different factors whether to call,fold, raise.

my point: just because someone does it does not mean you are beat. if/when you post hands that contain a stop-n-go, please provide reads or the advice given may be incorrect. just for future knowledge [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

zCereal 05-12-2005 06:34 PM

is this something we should be doing? or just something that fish do?

ArturiusX 05-12-2005 06:37 PM

TAGs can stop and go vs someone to entice them to bet more money, while losing the minimum when they are behind.

Eg:

Flop of A83

We hold A2, and are heads up OOP vs a tag.

What the best line? Bet? Nope. Check-call, check-call, then bet the river. Makes the most money vs someone who doesnt have the ace, and loses the minimum when they have a better kicker.

bozlax 05-12-2005 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TAGs can stop and go vs someone to entice them to bet more money, while losing the minimum when they are behind.

Eg:

Flop of A83

We hold A2, and are heads up OOP vs a tag.

What the best line? Bet? Nope. Check-call, check-call, then bet the river. Makes the most money vs someone who doesnt have the ace, and loses the minimum when they have a better kicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, that's not a stop-n-go, that's WA/WB. Right?

(Edit: Oh, wait, I see, you're presenting the defense to the stop-n-go, right?)

Stop-n-go is to conceal the strength of your hand to keep the villan in, I thought. EG: hero holds A8 OOP on a rainbow flop of A82, giving him top two. We bet, Villan in MP raises, what's best? Call, then lead out again so Villan can't put you on a hand.

@bsolute_luck 05-12-2005 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stop-n-go is to conceal the strength of your hand to keep the villan in, I thought. EG: hero holds A8 OOP on a rainbow flop of A82, giving him top two. We bet, Villan in MP raises, what's best? Call, then lead out again so Villan can't put you on a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think the SnG is a great tool that at least I don't fully understand or use and i think it is difficult to use due to how many meanings it could have.

1. it could be used to fold someone who is tight and fears a better or a turn-improved hand.

2. keep villain in the hand and paying more

3. actually be a turn-improved hand when you don't think a c/r will work.

it depends on a lot of factors like a lot of hands do obviously, but i think even more so. your read of your opponent. how many opponents. hand strength. board dynamics. what you think your opponent has. what you think the villain thinks you have. seems the stop-n-go is a very diverse tool that i haven't read much about, but if anyone has a link or good advice on how/when to use it, that would be great.

DMBFan23 05-12-2005 09:33 PM

I usually use it with top pair unsure kicker when I'm raised on drawy boards.

example. I limp after 2 limpers with 89s, button limps.

flop 945 2 hearts. I bet, button raises, limpers fold. here I'll probably just call the raise and bet most turn cards, possibly slowing down to a connected heart or something like a T or J

@bsolute_luck 05-12-2005 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually use it with top pair unsure kicker when I'm raised on drawy boards.

example. I limp after 2 limpers with 89s, button limps.

flop 945 2 hearts. I bet, button raises, limpers fold. here I'll probably just call the raise and bet most turn cards, possibly slowing down to a connected heart or something like a T or J

[/ QUOTE ]

thats true. that's another reason i forgot: the denial of the free card flop raise on a "drawy flop"

Arnfinn Madsen 05-12-2005 09:51 PM

I don't know if it is smart but I use it with kk when flop contains ace and nobody three-betted preflop and nobody has betted on the flop. I bet the flop and if I get callers I check the turn. If no betters on turn I bet the river.