Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   If God exists... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=357895)

10-14-2005 09:56 PM

Re: If God exists...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What evidence do you have that a supreme creator must be all "good"? Certainly his creations may give one pause.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I said "Lets suppose"

[/ QUOTE ]

Which you followed with "I happen to believe both the above."

[/ QUOTE ]

True... but that doesn't change my question. You're switching topics.

spaminator101 10-14-2005 10:13 PM

howd u know. lol

chezlaw 10-14-2005 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If Hell does exist then I believe God is not all good.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's right. No rational person who has your (and mine)sense of right and wrong can believe in a good god who creates hell (infinite punishment).

chez

RJT 10-15-2005 12:03 AM

If God does not exist, then what is the difference between what we think of what we call hell and life in prison (or capital punishment even more so)? for say rape, kidnapping or murder. Isn't the punishment a bit extreme then?

purnell 10-15-2005 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If God does not exist, then what is the difference between what we think of what we call hell and life in prison (or capital punishment even more so)? for say rape, kidnapping or murder. Isn't the punishment a bit extreme then?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mostly the part about the fire and brimstone. But prison isn't really for punishment, it's for the protection of the peaceful and honest folks.

10-15-2005 12:43 AM

I agree, especially considering the fact that he supposedly made us flawed to begin with. No loving god could punish someone forever, and no kind-hearted believer should feel content with the idea of basking in the comforts of heaven while others are burning in hell for eternity.

Maybe a little payback for justice reasons, but fire and brimstone for eternity? Whenever you throw eternity into the equation, it is ridiculous overkill as punishment no matter what the crime.

RJT 10-15-2005 12:57 AM

Given your assumptions - you want Hitler and Stalin hanging out with the rest of us?

chunk 10-15-2005 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First lets suppose that God does exist. Next lets suppose that God is all good. I happen to believe both the above. If these two statements are true then I don't believe that hell exists. At least not an eternal hell. How could a loving, forgiving god, allow for someone to suffer in hell?

Your thoughts...

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe there's ONLY hell and we DESERVE it. This would satisfy both of your assumptions.

r3vbr 10-15-2005 04:23 AM

why discuss this... we all know the concept of good god and hell cannot coexist.. it's either one thats wrong, or the other, or both.

Bataglin 10-15-2005 05:30 AM

lol [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]