Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Jury Duty (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=281471)

Michael Davis 06-27-2005 01:27 PM

Jury Duty

I'm serving jury duty in the L.A. Criminal Court right next to Judge Ito's courtroom. Jury duty sucks. I had to pay $10 to use the computer, $1.75 for a soda, and don't even get paid for the day. Thank God I believe in jury nullification or I'd be here another week maybe.

-Michael

slickpoppa 06-27-2005 01:32 PM

Re: Jury Duty

It sickens me when I hear about people complaining about jury duty and then btiching about the OJ and Michael Jackson verdicts. I don't know if you are one of those people, but I think bitching about jury duty is dumb regardless. You should be glad that you live in a country that has jury trials.

Michael Davis 06-27-2005 01:35 PM

"You should be glad that you live in a country that has jury trials."

I am, but if I ever move again I'm not registering to vote. I get nothing out of voting and this is miserable.

UPDATE: I tried to download Eurobet poker but couldn't, so I'm playing $1 blackjack, three hands at a time, and intend to do so all day, unless a hot chick comes by to watch, in which case I'll start playing $100 a hand.

-Michael

wacki 06-27-2005 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should be glad that you live in a country that has jury trials.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but the government shouldn't rape the jurors either. At a minimum free food, internet (work purposes), and drinks should be provided during breaks.

wacki 06-27-2005 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I tried to download Eurobet poker but couldn't,

[/ QUOTE ]

Government computer? What stopped you? There is always empire and pacific.

slickpoppa 06-27-2005 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You should be glad that you live in a country that has jury trials.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but the government shouldn't rape the jurors either. At a minimum free food, internet (work purposes), and drinks should be provided during breaks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree

wacki 06-27-2005 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jury duty sucks. I had to pay $10 to use the computer, $1.75 for a soda, and don't even get paid for the day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the government compensated you for lost work. Is this not the case?

jakethebake 06-27-2005 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jury duty sucks. I had to pay $10 to use the computer, $1.75 for a soda, and don't even get paid for the day.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. They pay you like $15 for the day.

Michael Davis 06-27-2005 01:43 PM

I haven't lost any work. They pay $15 a day but only for the second day and beyond. Also, they told us to arrive at 7:45 a.m. I was here on time, and at 8:45 they finally started juror orientation. Since I don't have a real job, this is just a huge waste of time.

Yeah I'm on a government computer, I can't download stuff.

Right now they are calling for a potential 15-day trial. Whew, just finished and I didn't get called.

-Michael

Soul Daddy 06-27-2005 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. They pay you like $15 for the day.

[/ QUOTE ]
Correct. Many companies have jury duty protection, which pays you your normal wage while you're out, but I don't believe they're required.