Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   PL General Question (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=250662)

daveymck 05-12-2005 07:09 AM

PL General Question

Trying to learn PL in prep for playing live (UK everywhere is PL).

Doesnt seem to be much discussion on PL here, reading through the NL hands what should I be thinking about to apply the discussions to PL.

My current issues at the moment are being to aggro with TPTK and not getting paid off when I have big hands, the usual stuff for us in the kiddie pool.

I will post some hands but want to use the knowledge and discussions of the hands by others as well.

Any pointers of links to appropriate posts appreciated.

-Skeme- 05-12-2005 07:16 AM

Re: PL General Question

PL seems to be harder as you can't slowplay your monsters and pot control becomes very important. It takes skill to build a pot when there is a fix on the betting. I don't know much more as I don't play it, but somebody will.

xorbie 05-12-2005 07:20 AM

The major differences with pot limit are this:

You cannot overbet pot on the river, so if you have some sort of draw it's nice to make a semi-bluff at some point. This also means it's all the more important to have position with hands like SC so that you can pick up someone elses river bets and add these to the pot.

Limp raise UTG more often if the game is agressive enough, because the raise is generally not enough to really get people out, so raising with TT and getting 5 callers just sucks.

jkkkk 05-12-2005 07:38 AM

played my fair share of PL hands...

the only key difference is controlling the pot size at the hand progresses.

Post some hands up and i'll give some feedback

joewatch 05-12-2005 11:11 AM

Although this is not true at Party and most online games, in live games in the UK, I believe that preflop, you are allowed to raise to 4xBB even if this is larger than the pot.

TheCat 05-12-2005 12:31 PM

Where you gonna be playing?

binions 05-12-2005 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Although this is not true at Party and most online games, in live games in the UK, I believe that preflop, you are allowed to raise to 4xBB even if this is larger than the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

In our 1-2 PLHE game, 5xBB is the max raise, unless there are 3-5 limpers. Then you can make it $15 to go. At 6+ limpers, you can make it $20.

kado 05-12-2005 01:56 PM

building the pot is very important in PL but i think position is more important in PL then NL. With aggressive players and early position i think it is very wise to slow play in PL because that bet the late position makes can bring that pot up to huge numbers and then you can control when you want the hand to be over by reraising for the whole pot. in late position i like to show weakness with strong hands to try and force a reraise.

daveymck 05-13-2005 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where you gonna be playing?

[/ QUOTE ]

On party in the $25 game. Unless others have better suggestions.

The odd live games I have played in the UK I am pretty sure it is PL all the way no overbetting.

TheCat 05-13-2005 02:18 PM

I ment where in the UK are you going to be playing live poker? There is quite a bit of NL in tournaments