Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Things to do in Atlanta (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=299881)

TBag 07-25-2005 04:28 AM

Things to do in Atlanta

Sup guys, I'm in Atlanta all week with my pops since he's playing in a major bridge tourney and while he's playing all week I'm gonna have a lot of free time.

I was hoping some of you folks could tell me what you like to do around here, as the forums always seem to give great advice in similar situations. Thanks =P

ClaytonN 07-25-2005 04:40 AM

Re: Things to do in Atlanta

Hey Tbag, luckily for you there's a lot of 2+2'ers in the Atlanta area, so there will likely be suggestions on top of mine.

The World of Coke and the CNN Center tours are a MUST as your regular touristy-stop attraction. For historical stuff/hang with your dad, the King Center is a pretty cool trip if you're into that sort of thing.

Foodwise, Atlanta is all about the Varsity. You have to stop there once, and make sure to get a frosted orange. You will thank me later.

Another cool place to hang around is the centennial olympic park, as well as the fox theatre (if anything decent is playing).

I'm sure more ATL'ers will expand on my initial suggestions, but as someone who has lived in suburban atlanta for 18 years, those are some of the necessities

TBag 07-25-2005 05:55 AM

Can you get to Varsity a la Marta? I got a week long pass on that bitch and I intend to ride her as much as possible.

ClaytonN 07-25-2005 06:18 AM

There's likely a Marta stop that's a shortish walk to the Varsity.

Also, for fine dining look up "Iris". My personal favorite restaurant in town.

If you want sushi, head to Soto.

gravis 07-25-2005 09:59 AM

yeah there is a marta stop about 100 yards from the V. its the same stop as for the georgia tech campus but i forget the name.

dlk9s 07-25-2005 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah there is a marta stop about 100 yards from the V. its the same stop as for the georgia tech campus but i forget the name.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the North Avenue station - just head west on North Avenue once you get out of the station and you won't be able to miss The Varsity.

Rob Blackburn 07-25-2005 10:32 AM

Go check out the High Museum of Art, Whole World Theatre(Thurs. right now they are doing a joint improv show with Dad's Garage and Laughing Matters in the park apparently) , Braves Game.....I'll try to think of more things today.

ddollevoet 07-25-2005 10:56 AM

As long as you are going down to Coke/CNN, you might as well go to Underground too. It is just another mall, but it was built where a train used to be... and it is well, under ground.

I always like going to the Hard Rock, which is only a few blocks from Centenniel Park.

Drink a lot. It is going to be damn hot today.

ChipWrecked 07-25-2005 11:06 AM

Lenox Square Mall has a MARTA station... see a movie, check out the pooty-tang. You can kill an hour or two, enjoy the air conditioning.

Get a fried peach pie at the Varsity.

Underground Atlanta still open? It's attached to Five Points Station downtown. Go during the day. Skip it at night.

If you like Asian food, there is a Vietnamese place in Midtown (Midtown Station) called Cha-Gio I used to love. I'm sure it's still open. I think it's on 10th St. near Peachtree. Great place for lunch. Also, Buford Highway out in Chamblee (Chambodia) and Doraville (Doranang) has lots of authentic places. You would probably need to hop a bus out of either of the train stations to do this.

Candler Park downtown is kind of interesting to wander around during workdays, esp. at lunch you can check out the ladies. Again, avoid downtown at night except for Cent. Park /CNN area.

ddollevoet 07-25-2005 11:16 AM

If you want a burger, find The Vortex.