Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Please help me i've gone deaf in one ear! (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=407491)

12-30-2005 12:14 AM

Please help me i\'ve gone deaf in one ear!

Ok its about 4am here. Several hours ago I got up from lying on my couch and i couldnt hear anything in one of my ears. I have quite long hair which covers my ears so I must just not have noticed while i was lying down. After jamming my finger in there a bit, there was a bit of dried blood in it.

I'm kind of panicking but I dont want to wake anyone in the middle of the night if its just some water or something, so what better place to come than OOT.

So anyone know about this sort of thing? I'm only 22 yrs old and never had anything like this before (apart from for a few minutes sometimes if water in ear)!

David04 12-30-2005 12:15 AM

Re: Please help me i\'ve gone deaf in one ear!

[ QUOTE ]
After jamming my finger in there a bit

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe this wasn't such a smart move.

whiskeytown 12-30-2005 12:15 AM

could be earwax -

go to the drugstore and buy an earwax removal kit - if that don't work - urgent care -

RB

EliteNinja 12-30-2005 12:15 AM

Get to the hospital!

pokerdirty 12-30-2005 12:18 AM

Shove a Q-tip in there.

While this might not do anything, it would be really cool to pull a Q-tip out of your ear covered in blood.

Hope you have insurance,

P. Dirty

HopeydaFish 12-30-2005 12:18 AM

http://www.extermital.com/images/Earwig%20diag.jpg

12-30-2005 12:20 AM

if there was no dried blood i would say that it's probably just impacted earwax. get some eardrops and use them.

but because of there being dried blood in your ear....i would get it checked out very soon.

jon

Shoe 12-30-2005 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Get to the hospital!

[/ QUOTE ]

ASAP!!!

CheckRaise 12-30-2005 12:25 AM

I've been deaf in one ear my entire life, it isn't so bad, you'll get used to it.

12-30-2005 12:34 AM

i'm not completely deaf in it i dont think (its hard to tell tho). It feels like it is full of something. There wasnt a load of blood, just a small amount mixed with what looks like wax.

I have had a bath tonight for the first time in probably a few months (I only have a shower in my flat, tonight i'm staying at my parent house). Could this be the problem. I cant really get to the hospital or doctor till the morning.

Alobar 12-30-2005 12:38 AM

you sure it was blood and not just earwax??

earwax will totally make you feel like youa re deaf in an ear if it builds up.....also, are you completely deaf in it, or just really really hard of hearing?

12-30-2005 12:41 AM

it feels like ear wax but it has blood mixed in with it (its red). i am not completely deaf in it i dont think, but it is very hard to hear. just kind of feels like its full of water or something

bdk3clash 12-30-2005 12:44 AM

I had the exact same thing happen to me about six years ago, went to a 24 hour clinic place and they flushed my ear out with water. A chunk of wax the size of a raisin fell out. Eew.

Any drugstore sells an earwax removal kit, which is usually a squirty bulb thing to flush your ear with water and some drops to disolve the wax. You could do this or just go to the doctor.

Eurotrash 12-30-2005 12:46 AM

totally sweet does not even begin to describe that avatar, Alobar

Unoriginalname 12-30-2005 03:01 AM

Am I the only one that finds it strange that this guy might be at a serious risk for permanent hearing loss in one ear and he's posting about it in OOT instead of going straight to the ER or calling the his on-call primary care Dr.?

rusellmj 12-30-2005 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been deaf in one ear my entire life, it isn't so bad, you'll get used to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

There, ya see? Nothin to worry about.

astroglide 12-30-2005 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Shove a Q-tip in there.

While this might not do anything, it would be really cool to pull a Q-tip out of your ear covered in blood.

Hope you have insurance,

P. Dirty

[/ QUOTE ]

haha

gorie 12-30-2005 04:27 AM

does it hurt ? maybe you ruptured your ear drum if it is bleeding. (although when mine ruptured it was very painful so you'd probably feel it...) if it doesn't hurt it's probably just blocked, but get to a doctor.

it could also be an ear infection

Awesemo 12-30-2005 04:37 AM

i think that some earwax is naturally red, and that's not blood. i would follow the advice of getting the drops.

CheckRaise 12-30-2005 04:54 AM

I know when I've had my ear flushed that the wax was a mixture of red/yellow so the OP might not be screwed.

12-30-2005 01:12 PM

My hearing is almost back! It was evn worse when i woke up in the morning. I went to the pharmacy but the man said I should not take ear drops if i was unsure of the problem as they could make things worse.

Before going to the doctor I decided to go for some self remedy . A combination of the following things has made the situation a lot better:

Yawning
Holding Nose and swallowing
Shaking my head as fast and hard as possible without breaking my neck

After about 10 minutes of this I was getting some sound again, and it has gradually come back during the day. Its almost perfect now.

Thanks for the help OOT, I was panicking big time last night. Almost had a pencil or a vacuum cleaner in my ear before I came here

Shajen 12-30-2005 01:13 PM

you still need to go to the doctor.

12-30-2005 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My hearing is almost back!

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like I'm late, but yeah when I was 23 I suddenly couldn't hear out of my right ear and it bugged the S*** out of me all day at school. I was panicking as well. Hearing stuff with 1 ear isn't nearly as good as both.

Anyway I went to the doc and he put a suction tool in my ear and sucked out a bunch of gooey red stuff and said that it's seasonal (many people get same thing during certain times of year). Anyway I was fine after that.

Rick Nebiolo 12-30-2005 01:30 PM

For goofy fun take a Weber's Test

~ Rick

bdk3clash 12-30-2005 01:38 PM

Awesome:
http://webmedia.unmc.edu/intmed/gene...;ear/weber.jpg

jcmack13 12-30-2005 02:48 PM

http://www.laluna-vzw.be/image/wonderful_left.gif

My mouth's bleeding, Burt! My mouth's bleeding!

Alobar 12-30-2005 03:08 PM

sounds like earwax then, I predict it returns

DrSavage 12-30-2005 04:27 PM

http://familyguy.wikicities.com/imag...blown-AIDS.jpg

CheckRaise 12-30-2005 05:32 PM

Yeah, it doesn't just go away. You'll probably wake up in a few days and be deaf again. Go to the doctor, have them flush it out and then you don't have to worry about it.