Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Unlimited betting when h/u live. A good rule to know. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=367434)

SA125 10-28-2005 05:52 PM

Unlimited betting when h/u live. A good rule to know.

I've seen this question come up repeatedly and always hear conflicting answers. We went over it again at the Taj this morning.

This was the scenario presented to the floor. It's a 3 handed game. The button raises, the SB folds, the BB makes it 3 bets and the button makes it 4. Is it a cap? The floor said yes because the SB was in the hand when it started. It's wrong.

The dealer was an excellent experienced guy and he laid it out clearly when the floor left, not to embarrass him, which was verified by a senior floor member who came in for the day shift.

The rule is simple and clear. If there is a 3rd player in the hand who holds cards and is yet to act when the 4th bet is made, then it's a cap. Even if the 3rd player then folds. If the betting is h/u at the time of the 4th bet, then it's no cap. Regardless if it started as a 10 way family pot.

One of the long time players who knew the rule said it's universal across the country. It's a good rule to know.

cardcounter0 10-28-2005 05:56 PM

Re: Unlimited betting when h/u live. A good rule to know.

There are no rules that are universal across the country

ChicagoTroy 10-28-2005 05:59 PM

That's not the rule at at least one of the Chicago area rooms.

wstaffor 10-28-2005 06:50 PM

At my local room it has to be heads up at the start of the street. So if 3 see the flop, 4 is the cap. If someone then folds and only 2 see the turn, no cap.

Randy_Refeld 10-28-2005 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At my local room it has to be heads up at the start of the street. So if 3 see the flop, 4 is the cap. If someone then folds and only 2 see the turn, no cap.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an older rule still used in many locations. The rule the OP presented is used in larger markets. The older (start eh round heads up) tends to be used mostly in smaller markets that are somewhat isolated form the rest of the poker playing world.

fluff 10-29-2005 01:45 AM

In WA cardrooms there is a 1 bet and 3 raises cap regardless of HU or not.

Rootabager 10-29-2005 01:50 AM

True story. At ceasars in Indiana I got in 30 bets on the river with this drunk woman. I had full house and she had J high and thought she could bluff me. Finally we agreed to just get it in and I couldnt stop laughing.

dark_horse 10-29-2005 02:09 AM

don't spend it all in one place

csuf_gambler 10-29-2005 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
True story. At ceasars in Indiana I got in 30 bets on the river with this drunk woman. I had full house and she had J high and thought she could bluff me. Finally we agreed to just get it in and I couldnt stop laughing.

[/ QUOTE ]

you went 30 bets without the nuts? wow good job

MegumiAmano 10-29-2005 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you went 30 bets without the nuts? wow good job

[/ QUOTE ]

AK with a board of AAK84

What are we losing to?