Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Approaching SNG's (11-55) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=278074)

tripp0807 06-22-2005 08:36 AM

Approaching SNG\'s (11-55)

Hey all,

Post #1 here.

I'm looking for some advice on lower to lower-middle SNG's on Party. Here's a little background on my game. I've had some pretty substantial success playing limit games (3-6 up to 10-20) in B&M's in Atlantic City, though not as much on the 'net (primarily on Party, but occasionally at Stars). I also play ring no-limit, and have had sucess there as well.

The vast majority of my winnings thus far this year (approximately $7,500) has come from online MTT's, with $5000 coming from a win in a 30+3 761-entry tourney on Party in February (as an advertisement for 2+2, I won this 3 weeks after buying and studying HOH1). I also do well in my home NL ring games.

So I've had some pretty considerable success this year. The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to transfer these skills from ring games (both limit and NL) and larger MTT's to 1-table SNG's. I have relatively good stats (~15% ROI and ~27% ITM), but I'm looking to up these stats and move into higher games - however, I'm not going to do this until I can kill the lower games.

I suppose my question is why can't I transfer my skills from ring games and MTT's to the standard SNG's? Am I missing some approach to these that deviates from the typical TAG MTT strategy that I use?

I've been lurking here for a while now, and enjoy everyone's discussions. I'd appreciate any advice that anyone might have to offer. Thanks.

NYCNative 06-22-2005 08:40 AM

Re: Approaching SNG\'s (11-55)

This discussion overlaps in my thread about my results. In short, playing SNGs with small stacks and short levels will not help your play in MTT and ring games. In fact, applying the principles that make for a winning PP SNG player to those other mediums will hurt your game in many cases.

The Pro-SNG-types prefer PP skins for profit. However if you want to gain/hone skills that help those other games with a small hit to profitability, you shoudl switch to the sites that offer big stacks and longer levels. Like UB where I play.

tripp0807 06-22-2005 08:42 AM

So would you advise that I just forget about SNG's and stick to limit and NL ring games and MTT's where I've had substantially more success?

Shajen 06-22-2005 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So would you advise that I just forget about SNG's and stick to limit and NL ring games and MTT's where I've had substantially more success?

[/ QUOTE ]

Play SnGs to have fun and make a little profit. Sounds like you are doing pretty good in the MTTs and ring games. I'd stick to that for my bread and butter.

The SnGs in your case I think should be used just for a change of pace.

Congrats on your win.

wulfheir 06-22-2005 08:51 AM

Read this.

tripp0807 06-22-2005 09:02 AM

Wow, thanks for that. That's a pretty impressive compilation.

boose_bagina 06-22-2005 09:53 AM

its impressive you get 15% ROI from 27% ITM
(this coming from a guy who had 46%ITM yesterday and -9%ROI - no comment please, I feel retarded enough)

tripp0807 06-22-2005 10:24 AM

I think the reasoning is that I almost always finish first when I'm in the money - at the lower limits, I'm very comfortable with my 2-4 handed ability. My problem lies in making it to the final group because these games are such an all-in fest.

GtrHtr 06-22-2005 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
these games are such an all-in fest.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason is here

DeathbySuckout 06-22-2005 04:06 PM

A lot of it has to do with where you want to play. Playing at Party and Playing at Stars are 2 different things. At Stars, you can "play poker" a little more. You can see more flops with suited connectors in late position and such. Sounds like that might be more your thing, comming from MTTs and cash games.