Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Tips on playing in loose-passive games?? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=225935)

Murs316 04-04-2005 05:43 PM

Tips on playing in loose-passive games??

Due to a recent, long bad run, I am moving down to .50/1NL on stars. These tables are very difficult to beat because of the players. I am in no way saying I am a great player, but some of these guys just suck.

I standard raise preflop is a miniraise (ugh) or the occasional 3XBB raise. Some opponents check in the BB with JJ or AKs or other big hands, so its hard to put them on anything. The majority of the players don't bet enough to protect their hand, and when they suck out on you on the river, they bet a small bet that you pretty much have to call if you have anything. Overall, very loose and passive and very frustrating to a tight/agg player.

I would consider my type of play tight and aggresive, I dont play many hands but when I do I try to get the most out of them. My VP$IP is about 10%. I am wondering how I should adjust my game to beat this .50/1NL game on stars.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Murs

GFunk911 04-04-2005 05:59 PM

Re: Tips on playing in loose-passive games??

[ QUOTE ]
Due to a recent, long bad run, I am moving down to .50/1NL on stars. These tables are very difficult to beat because of the players. I am in no way saying I am a great player, but some of these guys just suck.

I standard raise preflop is a miniraise (ugh) or the occasional 3XBB raise. Some opponents check in the BB with JJ or AKs or other big hands, so its hard to put them on anything. The majority of the players don't bet enough to protect their hand, and when they suck out on you on the river, they bet a small bet that you pretty much have to call if you have anything. Overall, very loose and passive and very frustrating to a tight/agg player.

I would consider my type of play tight and aggresive, I dont play many hands but when I do I try to get the most out of them. My VP$IP is about 10%. I am wondering how I should adjust my game to beat this .50/1NL game on stars.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Murs

[/ QUOTE ]

For one, you should play at least 3x as many hands. A NL game where players will play anything, do a lot more calling than betting, and let you see a lot of flops for cheap means you should play a ton of hands preflop, and then really get value when you flop big hands. It DOESN'T mean you be aggressive with your AK that flops ace high against calling stations.

freemoney 04-04-2005 07:14 PM

im sorry but if you think this game is tough to beat you may want to re-evaluate how good of a player you really are. in terms of these types of players, see alot of flops, suited connectors, low pp, high off suited cards, overbet the pot when you hit youll get paid, also dont try n be fancy or anything wait for your sets, straights, and big pairs and jam the pot, the players will keep paying you off

THATWACOKID 04-04-2005 10:05 PM

Free, I have been doing very well in the .5/1 nl game on party. I don't have poker tracker but I would guess I make about 15-18BB/100 hands. I'm thinking about moving up levels pretty soon. What changes should I make in my game when moving up to the 1/2, game where the players don't go as far with their hands?

WACO

GFunk911 04-05-2005 12:41 AM

get pokertracker

Murs316 04-05-2005 01:12 AM

Thanks for the tips, free and gfunk, anyone else?

Murs

bobby rooney 04-05-2005 01:19 AM

Step 1: Make BIG hand

Step 2: Get Paid

Basically, loose passive players pay off too much, and when they have big hands, they tend to slowplay and not get enough value. When they smoothcall you and you aren't superstrong, be very wary. They tend to think that NL is all trapping, so they trap in situations where it is completely inappropriate. As a TAG, you will tend to walk right into unsound traps if you keep pushing.

Anyway, just bet big when you have something good and expect to stack these guys off.

freemoney 04-05-2005 04:07 AM

by BB in .5/1 NL do you mean $1 or a PT BB which is $2 for this level?

Murs316 04-05-2005 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
by BB in .5/1 NL do you mean $1 or a PT BB which is $2 for this level?

[/ QUOTE ]

$1 BB