Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Stock Market (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Stock Of The Day BGG Briggs-Stratton (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=282894)

James Boston 06-29-2005 11:00 AM

Stock Of The Day BGG Briggs-Stratton

After my guesswork on Tecumseh turned into a complete debacle, I decided to try this one. Of the industry leaders, the have the highest earning growth. Thoughts?

James Boston 06-29-2005 09:25 PM

Re: Stock Of The Day BGG Briggs-Stratton

So....this "stock of the day" thing hasn't really gone over too well.

plj8624 06-30-2005 12:56 AM

That company looks fairly mediocre to me. A decent smaller cap, but the prospects for the business look unexciting.

AceHigh 06-30-2005 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So....this "stock of the day" thing hasn't really gone over too well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah...I agree. It's probably a little to often.

Are you up for a stock of the week? Post a stock of the week Monday or Tuesday and I will post my pick under your thread. Maybe will can get some good picks/threads going here.

xtravistx 06-30-2005 01:57 AM

I enjoy reading them and the ensuing discussion, though haven't had anything to contribute yet. Keeping it up in some form would be cool.

-xtravistx

BadBoyBenny 06-30-2005 08:23 AM

James,

Keep it up, we don't need a stock every day to call it stock of the day. I promise I will post one or two in the next couple weeks.

Also a little bit about what Briggs Stratton does would help, even if you are pasting the Yahoo Finance description. I don't feel like looking all this stuff up.

Redd 06-30-2005 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I enjoy reading them and the ensuing discussion, though haven't had anything to contribute yet. Keeping it up in some form would be cool.

-xtravistx

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

James Boston 06-30-2005 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you up for a stock of the week? Post a stock of the week Monday or Tuesday and I will post my pick under your thread. Maybe will can get some good picks/threads going here.

[/ QUOTE ]

We probably don't need to make anything too official with the low traffic in this forum. Call it whatever, we should just not expect a new daily post to get that many replies. I've leave this one for a while and see what happens. But by all means, if you have some picks, post away. Maybe I'm just not putting exciting stuff up for discussion, but then again my investing philosophy is pretty vanilla.

James Boston 06-30-2005 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also a little bit about what Briggs Stratton does would help, even if you are pasting the Yahoo Finance description. I don't feel like looking all this stuff up.

[/ QUOTE ]

From Yahoo Finance:

[ QUOTE ]
Briggs & Stratton Corporation engages in the design, manufacture, marketing, and servicing of air-cooled gasoline engines for outdoor power equipment....Briggs & Stratton conducts operations in two segments: Engines and Power Products. The Engines segment's products are used primarily by the lawn and garden equipment industry, for applications, such as walk-behind lawn mowers, riding lawn mowers, and garden tillers. These engines are also used on products for industrial, construction, agricultural, and other consumer applications that include generators, pumps, and pressure washers. In the Power Products segment, the company's two principal product lines are portable and home stand-by generators, and pressure washers.

[/ QUOTE ]

parttimepro 06-30-2005 05:10 PM

I'm interested but not convinced about this company. It looks great based on the first things I look at: low P/E and 10%+ predicted growth. I see two problems:
1. high debt. It bought out Murray, a customer who couldn't pay its bills. BGG has a pretty high debt load because of this.
2. Increasing inventory. This may mean discounts to move product, which would probably slow down growth.

It is pretty cheap, though, and these problems are probably factored into the price.