Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Attractiveness and peoples skills (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=246492)

Little Fishy 05-05-2005 09:02 PM

Attractiveness and peoples skills

is there a correlation between how attractive someone is and their people skills? does sex or age affect this correlation?

purnell 05-05-2005 10:06 PM

Re: Attractiveness and peoples skills

Nobody has an opinion? I think doing things that make a person more attractive to others indicates that a person is at least not a total introvert. Introverts have to work hard at people skills. FWIW.

TStoneMBD 05-06-2005 12:31 AM

attractiveness leads to confidence, which will lead to better people skills.

however, i think this is more prevalent in men, because many attractive women dont have to have good people skills because they can get away with any attitude whatsoever and still get laid.

yellowjack 05-06-2005 01:42 AM

I'm calling BS on the relationship here, because of something in my psychology textbook that deals with this issue specifically. I'm a blindbat for doing so? I think it's more reliable than "common sense" because it addresses that. I'll post what I read from my book after a few more responses.

Little Fishy 05-06-2005 08:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
however, i think this is more prevalent in men, because many attractive women dont have to have good people skills because they can get away with any attitude whatsoever and still get laid

[/ QUOTE ]

this would make sense if a good personality=people skills... but people interact with one another on a lot of different levels including loks. i wouldthink that because of higher female beauty anxiety and a higher stress on female beauty, female people skills would be more dependent on attractiveness

Little Fishy 05-06-2005 08:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
attractiveness- P-skills relationship, most signifigant for 46+ year olds
0 0%

[/ QUOTE ]

what about people who used to be attractive... do they have better people skills when old?? or does everything even out??

purnell 05-06-2005 08:53 AM

I think age is overall positively correlated to people skills, regardless of attractiveness. You live and you learn, even if you're not trying.

Also, don't strong people skills make a person seem more attractive? Or are we limiting attractiveness to what can be seen in a still photo?

Demana 05-06-2005 01:27 PM

Looks only affects how people initially respond to someone.

People skills are a person's ability to make a social connection after that first impression.