Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Heads up (SnG form) questions.. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=317706)

Tropex 08-18-2005 06:59 AM

Heads up (SnG form) questions..

I've played quite some $5.5 NL Heads up, a few Limit heads ups etc and I thought of a some things. First of all, the bankroll management - I'm very careful with my spendings, I haven't touched SnGs with bigger buy-in than $10 (have over 100 buy-ins for those) and same goes for heads ups. How many buy-ins for such should I have before moving up assuming that i'm rather comfortable with my HU play overall. I've heard recommendations for ring but never SnG form HU.

Also another question - I play at PS and I've noticed the level of $5.5 Heads ups is pretty low, at which stakes should I expect to get to play more players with any class than total fish with no idea what they're doing ? =]

meow_meow 08-18-2005 07:24 AM

Re: Heads up (SnG form) questions..

I've played quite a few at the 20+1 level on PS. I haven't played any 5s, so I can't compare, but the vast majority of the players are either terrible or very conventional.

vabogee 08-18-2005 07:28 AM

i played a lot of the $20s at UB with surprisingly great success (even though i generally blow at heads up). i've only done the stars ones a few times, but if UB is any indication, they don't get tough until the $100 level. Pretty much every opponent was either very predictable or very very wild and aggressive. hope that helped...

Tropex 08-18-2005 07:28 AM

So quite a few HU or quite a few on that level ? What about BR management and higher levels? Any better players there? what about other sites? I'm dying to know because I think HU is actually quite entertaining and I want to learn it (lost so many times in live tourney finals I need practice).

meow_meow 08-18-2005 07:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So quite a few HU or quite a few on that level ? What about BR management and higher levels? Any better players there? what about other sites? I'm dying to know because I think HU is actually quite entertaining and I want to learn it (lost so many times in live tourney finals I need practice).

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite a few at that level, I'm guessing 100 or so.
As for higher levels, I've only played a few at the 100 and 200 level, so not enough to say, though there weren't any complete morons in those few that I played.

As far as BR goes, HU SNGs have far less variance than 10 player SNGs. Assuming you are a signficant favorite in the average match (more than 55%), then a 20 buy-in BR is probably overkill. So a $100 bankroll would be great for playing the 5's.

Tropex 08-18-2005 08:27 AM

Thanks, I don't think i'll be jumping into too big games yet but I certainly have enough br for $20 ones then [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'll play a few and if they go awfully bad, I just don't play that high - take a feel so to speak. I've just had some huge winning streaks in $5.5 and I wasn't sure how much of these you can put in the variance section and how much into skill section [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

vabogee 08-18-2005 08:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, I don't think i'll be jumping into too big games yet but I certainly have enough br for $20 ones then [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'll play a few and if they go awfully bad, I just don't play that high - take a feel so to speak. I've just had some huge winning streaks in $5.5 and I wasn't sure how much of these you can put in the variance section and how much into skill section [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

why don't you just play the $10.50s then? for me heads up is such a psychological game, that having the burden of playing slightly above my comfort zone could become hazardous.

Tropex 08-18-2005 08:37 AM

I meant I won't go into $50 yet even if my br allowed it. That'd make me feel uncomfortable. I believe I can feel quite comfortable at $20 ones since I play $2/$4 Limit ring so I often have more invested in one pot than in one $20 HU.

kiddo 08-18-2005 08:52 AM

I play HU at Paradise, mostly for fun but also because I want to learn NL and HU. I normally play 10/20SH. For my standards $20 and below are conventional or bad. At $50 there are som guys that seems to play like they have read a book or two. But I still havent played against someone I felt was better then me, and I am no expert.

Someone mentioned 55%. Is that what u will win if u are a better player then those you play against? Also, are pros at this kind of poker playing really aggressive and fast? I mean, there is a great difference between playing 5 tourn./hour and 2. Even if u win a few less playing 5 it should be worth it.