Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Innate Sense of Time (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=407507)

12-30-2005 12:44 AM

Innate Sense of Time

This is something that I have never read about, but I've always noticed it and just attributed to coincidence, but I think it happens far too often to myself to just be coincidence. So I'm wondering if anyone else has an innate sense of time?

Often I can guess the time to within a minute of two, and even won a bet of being able to stop a conversation closest to one minute (was off by 1 second). It seems to be a fairly useless skill, but I just was wondering if anyone else also possesed it, or this is just an overanalyzation of something anyone can do.

12-30-2005 12:53 AM

Re: Innate Sense of Time

give or take a couple hours I'm usually spot on.

12-30-2005 01:49 AM

I think Howard Cosell was almost perfect at doing spots/highlight reels that were exactly 1 minute long (or however long they needed to be) without using a watch or timer. It was mentioned on ESPN's Sportscentury of Cosell.

12-30-2005 10:43 AM

I have virtually no sense of time beyond a half hour or so. If I get a little involved in something I can't tell the difference between one hour and five.

But when the third out comes, and I change the channel, I'm better at getting back for the first pitch of the next inning than most networks.

captZEEbo1 12-30-2005 11:14 AM

I can do this too, we'll just be hanging out eating food, then go drive somewhere, watch some tv, talk some, goof around, someone is like "what time it is" and I can tell within like 5-10 minutes of what time it is. I'm also pretty good with that 1 minute thing too.

12-30-2005 11:32 AM

I'm usually good at knowing what time it is within ten minutes or so. If I concentrate before I go to bed, I can tell myself when to wake up, and it usually happens right before the alarm goes off. Some people I know are terrible for knowing what time it is. FWIW.

ScottieK

chesspain 12-30-2005 11:38 AM

I can almost always guess the temperature to within +/- 2 degrees as per the bank clock across the street from my office.

FouTight 12-30-2005 11:44 AM

The other day I had a poker game at 5 at a local club and I got in the car and it was 5 till, and I still had to stop at the bank to get money. I was literally in shock because it was about 5 minutes later then I thought it was, I couldn't believe that had happened. I've never late for anything, I always just kinda know what time it is and where I have to be.

This is the first time in recent memory that I was actually wrong.

beavens 12-30-2005 03:47 PM

ive wondered what time it was, made a guess, and looked at a clock and have been spot on a bunch.

pretty useless, but oh well :P

Songwind 12-30-2005 04:31 PM

"Watches are a confidence trick invented by the Swiss!" - Chiun