Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   What really is my bankroll? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=398920)

john kane 12-15-2005 10:58 AM

What really is my bankroll?

I am a student.
I have approx $4,000 in my current account
I have access to $2,000 interest free debt
I have another $2,000 of pretty much interest free student loan i can use, with another $2,000 coming in Jan (which i would already have used if i havent spent poker winnings instead)
I have roughly $8,000 in savings.

So what are the highest limits i should be playing?

at the moment i play 1-2NL, $200 sit downs.

I spend massive amounts going out at the moment but im going to really try and spend my monthly spend to $550 (amount my parents give me each month). That is for food and drink, i have no other bills - they pay for that.

therefore, all i earn poker wise i keep in my bankroll.

i dont want to touch my savings as losing that my parents would kill me. But i dont mind using my student loan as a bankroll, im expected to spend that anyway.

So i therefore think my bankroll is $4,000 current account + $2,000 student loan+$2,000 student loan in january

should i consider the £2,000 interest free overdraft in my bankroll as well? after all, i dont mind going into that.

Just ive been playing the 1-2NL for over a year now, and including a few sit and go play, im up around $17,000 (all which has pretty much gone on boozing, but hey, its been a sod load of fun, so i dont mind, just now i feel i should start building up some money rather than spending it all).

i feel ive got the game to be a much higher earner than i am.

i dont tilt, ever, ive gone through some terrible downswings and some great upswings, im mentally sound.

Im thinking of moving up to the $100 sit and go's and $2-$4NL.

i remember reading a quote from a great poker player, who also loved to gamble though, name i forget, that your bankroll should be every penny you can get your hands on.
Im not doing that, just every penny i can feel comforable with losing.

Any, a pretty pointless post maybe, just trying to get things clear in my head and i can reread if i need to, any comments much appreciated.

joop 12-15-2005 07:07 PM

Re: What really is my bankroll?

Why don't you just make your roll 300BB (or whatever you're comfortable with - maybe 500BB), for the limit you're currently playing. Take a shot at $2-4NL if you want, risking 150BB or whatever you're comfortable with, but be prepared to drop down if you're not comfortable in the games.

Matt Williams 12-15-2005 07:57 PM

You spend $550 a month on just food and drinks? Cut it down to $300 and you have an extra $250 to play with.

Catt 12-15-2005 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But i dont mind using my student loan as a bankroll, im expected to spend that anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a piss-poor reason for drawing on a loan if you really don't need to borrow.

Evan 12-15-2005 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You spend $550 a month on just food and drinks? Cut it down to $300 and you have an extra $250 to play with.

[/ QUOTE ]
Depending on where you live, this can vary from difficult to impossible.

stinkypete 12-15-2005 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But i dont mind using my student loan as a bankroll, im expected to spend that anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a piss-poor reason for drawing on a loan if you really don't need to borrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

lies. max out the credit cards. it's +EV.

john kane 12-15-2005 11:10 PM

thanks for the replies so far.

reason i say i dont mind risking the student loan money is i suppose that in the grand scheme of things i dont want to lose any money that if my parents knew they be disappointed. They think ive got about $5,000 less than i actually have, so if i lost $5,000 at poker, they wouldnt have to know, just that if i lost more than that and they went to put money in my savings (they keep my saving books) and they saw id withdrawn money they instantly think i was in financial trouble and get very worried about me and that wouldnt be good. the trust me, i wouldnt want to break that.

also, im from the uk, and over here the student loan you might as well take out, as you can more from interest in a bank while your at uni than you do in the interest charges (after leaving uni it changes).

it just seems i should have more balls and move up limits - no pain no gain, got invest to win, all those saying. note id never risk more than i could afford to lose however bold i was feeling.

tongni 12-15-2005 11:30 PM

Your bankroll is 16k + whatever you can barrow from your friends. Don't be a pussy.

Mathemagician 12-15-2005 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...i dont want to lose any money that if my parents knew they be disappointed. They think ive got about $5,000 less than i actually have, so if i lost $5,000 at poker, they wouldnt have to know

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the trust me, i wouldnt want to break that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is it just me, or...

jman220 12-16-2005 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it just seems i should have more balls and move up limits - no pain no gain, got invest to win, all those saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the context of poker, those sayings are all dumb.