Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Vegas in December. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=362276)

10-21-2005 05:47 AM

Vegas in December.

Hello, I was wondering if any of you experienced fellows could give me some guidance. I'm going to Las Vegas in December for the third time. I started playing poker a year ago and have progressed to .50/1.00 6 max and 1/2 full on stars, caribbean, and ultimate. In June, I played for the first time live at MGM and the Trop. I beat a 1/2 game for awhile at the Trop, but pulled a Sir Robin, "when danger reared its ugly head, Sir Robin turned his back and fled," at the MGM when I found out the 1/2 I bought into was No Limit and someone raised $160.

My question is, does anybody know the best rooms for small fry? I've been to the online sites but I assume those are journalists reporting to me. As vested players, what do you recommend? My bankroll could, again, could, go up to 3/6, but I'd prefer 2/4 or lower if anywhere other than the Trop had it.

Any suggestions? I'd totally appreciate it because I'll go online and request a players card in advance.

Also, would it be worth going to Fremont Street?

Thank you, very much.

Howard Burroughs 10-21-2005 06:03 AM

Re: Vegas in December.

There are good games every where.

I would say give the Excalibur 1-3 or Monte Carlo 2-4 a special look.

If you feel like it, give the Excalibur 2-6 or Monte Carlo 4-8 a look as well.

As far as Freemont Street goes......

I like Freemont Street. But, then again I like the Baltimore Orioles too :-)

The Nugget can have some good games (I've never had a losing session at the Nugget, Knock Wood!).

Where ever you wind up playing; good luck and have some fun!

Best Wishes

Howard

10-21-2005 07:41 AM

Thank you very much, Howard. Are the Excalibur's splits done as a gimick? 1-3 and 2-6? That sounds wild to me.

somapopper 10-21-2005 09:28 AM

I think they actually do spread 2/4 at the MGM.

PS- you realize it's well nigh impossible to beat vegas rake/ tips/ drinks (don't pretend you're not gonna order drinks) this low, yes?

Howard Burroughs 10-21-2005 10:00 AM

"PS- you realize it's well nigh impossible to beat vegas rake/ tips/ drinks (don't pretend you're not gonna order drinks) this low, yes?"

I don't agree.

drewjustdrew 10-21-2005 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"PS- you realize it's well nigh impossible to beat vegas rake/ tips/ drinks (don't pretend you're not gonna order drinks) this low, yes?"

I don't agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you. Maybe 10 years ago, when I first started playing it was a little tougher, but now it seems like there are 8 horrible players at every table. I play 15-30 at Bellagio and there are usually 4-6 horrible players. Occasionally I play 4-8 and have never been disappointed in my competition in the last 5 years or so.

Howard Burroughs 10-21-2005 10:09 AM

Hi Chi-Town,

The Excalibur 2-6 has been going on for decades. Not sure why they started it in the first place but I believe the game can be a mini-gold mine (even though I mostly play a little higher these days).

Have a good time and post a trip report!

Best Wishes

Howard

Action Scott 10-21-2005 10:20 AM

I will be at Excalibur next week, does 2-6 mean spread limit? you can bet anything from 2 to 6 at any time? Thanks.

Howard Burroughs 10-21-2005 10:29 AM

Hi Action Scott,

Yes, bet 2 to 6 at any time.

If someone bets $2 on the flop (or any other street) and you want to raise the max.... You would make it $8 to go.

Also in the Excalibur 2-6, if you lose with pocket aces (and there's at least $30 in the pot), you spin a money wheel.
Kind of cool.

Also at Excalibur, they bring out free food 6 nights a week. Some nights it's down right awesome food!

Best of Luck

Howard

Action Scott 10-21-2005 11:27 AM

thanks howard, i'll def. give that game a shot...the aces thing seems pretty cool too.