Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Downswing (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=317936)

rory 08-18-2005 03:06 PM

Downswing

So, I am on a downswing right now, not a huge downswing but it is still one.

Here is what is happening to me psychologically:

1) I feel reluctant to play the game I usually play which is at the edge of my comfort bankroll.
2) I am apt to become frustrated more quickly when playing, both when simply losing money or when losing money I have won in a session.
3) I am more likely to quit a good game just to book a win to avoid feeling bad.
4) I am much more aware of how other players who play better than me are playing, and I am much more open and receptive to making changes in my game based on how I see the players I view as the better players are playing.
5) I am feel humbled and not as if I am one of the best poker players on 2+2. On an upswing, I feel as if I am one of the best players on here.
6) I feel uninspired to play poker and seek companionship outside of poker in terms of spending time with loved ones.
7) I engage in other non-poker playing activities that I used to enjoy before playing poker.
8) I consider multitabling a smaller limit but never actually do it.
9) I play lower stakes games which are not my main game, including omaha hi/lo, stud and no-limit hold 'em.
10) I am more likely to seriously review my hands after a session to see where I felt like I made mistakes, rather than give a cursory examination.
11) I write in my poker journal more.
12) I play very short hit and run sessions, and only play when I am feeling completely amped up and ready to attack the table.
13) I philosophize about poker more.
14) I feel bad for myself.
15) I am more likely to speak to people at the table when playing live, I think for a sense of comraderie. Losing is lonely.
16) I pursue my spiritual practices more intensely.

I'm not sure what the point of this post is.

I think the best thing that happens to my poker game is going through a downswing.

ChicagoTroy 08-18-2005 03:15 PM

Re: Downswing

FWIW, last year I had a terrible downswing and posted after coming out of it on what I wished I'd done during it to expediate the recovery. It helps to review it when I run crappy.

As you turn it around, make a note of how you're feeling and what you'd have said to running-bad-you.

wackjob 08-18-2005 03:16 PM

I feel like I should either cry or quit poker. I don't know why.

08-18-2005 03:18 PM

I can relate to almost everything you say... except playing omaha or no-limit and ever feeling like the best player on 2+2. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

sublime 08-18-2005 03:18 PM

rory rules~!

MyssGuy 08-18-2005 03:26 PM

Excellent post.

[ QUOTE ]
I think the best thing that happens to my poker game is going through a downswing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a very good point. Personally, I become over confident and think I know more than I do or that people should respect my bets more. Recently, I ran very hot. I then thought I'm a good player, I can play more hands. I changed what got me there and came to a huge crash. At first I thought it was fate and bad beats. But it wasn't. I was playing (bad) hands OOP, not respecting raises (I'm better than them...), etc.

Basically, the downswing I went through (am still somewhat in) was very humbling. Remember to continue to play strong poker, do what got you there.

baronzeus 08-18-2005 03:27 PM

I'm trying to understand this post. You say you don't know the point, but I think you do.

Turning Stone Pro 08-18-2005 03:34 PM

"5) I am feel humbled and not as if I am one of the best poker players on 2+2. On an upswing, I feel as if I am one of the best players on here."

I have come to realize that although I do pretty well playing poker, I will never be one of the best players on here. My mind doesnt work as fast as others, and my math skills are abysmal.

I would suggest just taking some time off and doing some other things. Go fishing, take a road trip, see some country, etc.

TSP

DMBFan23 08-18-2005 03:36 PM

post more often pls

baronzeus 08-18-2005 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
12) I play very short hit and run sessions, and only play when I am feeling completely amped up and ready to attack the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain this one? I tend to play longer, marathon sessions when I am running bad.