Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Don't think I can beat 1/2. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=304620)

HentaiGaijin 07-31-2005 04:56 PM

Don\'t think I can beat 1/2.

I'm making alot of mistakes and psychological errors. I'm often not giving my opponents enough respect and I get really frustrated at the variance in my curve. Check this out:

http://www.extropica.com/images/progress_8200.jpg

That's 8200 hands of 1/2. Not many, but I'm down 100 BB and unable to get out of the red. Every time I hit up against the -60 BB bar I get knocked back down.

My bankroll really hasn't changed much from when I've started. I've cleared $200 in bonuses and have about $50 in rakeback due for last month.

I don't know what to do. I was hit with a hard downswing in .5/1 that caused me to quit for a few months, but I came back and beat that one and ended up in great shape so I moved up to 1/2. But this game is kicking my ass. I'm starting to get really steamed when someone draws out on me again and again with like 2 outer weak pairs making a set on the river, etc. But my biggest leak is just bad fundamental play, mistakes that I shouldn't be making but convince myself to make.

HentaiGaijin 07-31-2005 05:00 PM

Re: Don\'t think I can beat 1/2.

Maybe if I take a break for a couple days, then drop to .5/1 for a couple thousand hands, I'll feel psychologically more fit to play in the 1/2 game.

silkyslim 07-31-2005 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm starting to get really steamed when someone draws out on me again and again with like 2 outer weak pairs making a set on the river, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is just variance and a sign that you are against weak opponents. Suckouts happen and you should know that from 5./1 especially.

[ QUOTE ]
But my biggest leak is just bad fundamental play, mistakes that I shouldn't be making but convince myself to make.

[/ QUOTE ]
Move back down to .5/1 and work on the fundamentals. Also, it sounds like you are not emotionally ready for swings. You can't avoid these, and need to keep calm to avoid busting.

12ozLongneck 07-31-2005 05:07 PM

Are you playing at the full tables, the 9 max tables or the 6 max tables?

HentaiGaijin 07-31-2005 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you playing at the full tables, the 9 max tables or the 6 max tables?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mostly 9 max.

McGahee 07-31-2005 05:13 PM

Here are my thoughts on my 2/4 run so far in my best Jim Mora voice:
"Winrate! Winrate? I just hope I can win a hand".

LesWormMurphy 07-31-2005 05:14 PM

You need to get yourself a copy of Small Stakes Hold 'Em by Ed Miller. If you devote yourself to that book and this site, in a month or so, most of your very obvious leaks should be plugged up.

It's really amazing how much one book and a website can help.

Trust me, that book is key to beating low-stakes hold'em.

If you are playing wrong FUNDAMENTALLY, then your not playing with pot/implied odds and pot equity. You aren't careful about position, you aren't counting how much $ money in the pot, nor particularly care how many people are in the hand. You'd rather check/fold your middle pair in a multiway 20BB pot, and you'd rather try to steal a 2BB pot with Ace-high-- if these are some of your characterisitcs, then you MUST read SSHE. It covers all this ground and much, much more.

Duerig 07-31-2005 05:19 PM

How many hands of .50/1.00 did you play? What was your winrate? I suggest 10k hands / 300 BBs (which ever takes _longer_) at each level before moving up. But I'm a nit.

Sasnak 07-31-2005 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But my biggest leak is just bad fundamental play, mistakes that I shouldn't be making but convince myself to make.

[/ QUOTE ]

Start right where you mentioned. Fundamental play.

Play tight in EP.
Play looser in LP.
Dump Axs early.
Don't cold call.
Raise first-in in LP.
Iso raise loose players.
Post hands.

A good dose of SSHE applied liberally wouldn't hurt either.

Good luck.

~

HentaiGaijin 07-31-2005 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You need to get yourself a copy of Small Stakes Hold 'Em by Ed Miller. If you devote yourself to that book and this site, in a month or so, most of your very obvious leaks should be plugged up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a very dog eared copy. It's one thing to read and reread another to know how to apply. It will come with time, I imagine, if I don't frustrate myself out of playing.