Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   California Assembly Passes Gay Marraige Bill (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=331408)

09-07-2005 07:16 AM

California Assembly Passes Gay Marraige Bill

story here.

Choice quotes from legislators:

"Marriage should be between a man and a woman, end of story. Next issue," insisted Assemblyman Dennis Mountjoy (R-Monrovia). "It's not about civil rights or personal rights, it's about acceptance. They want to be accepted as normal. They are not normal."

"There are a handful of issues where history will record where we were. This is one of them," said Thomas J. Umberg (D-Anaheim), who had abstained in a vote on the issue in June but voted yes on Tuesday night.

"History will record that you betrayed your constituents and their moral and ethical values," countered Jay LaSuer, his Republican counterpart from La Mesa.

thatpfunk 09-07-2005 07:35 AM

Re: California Assembly Passes Gay Marraige Bill

[ QUOTE ]

"History will record that you betrayed your constituents and their moral and ethical values," countered Jay LaSuer, his Republican counterpart from La Mesa.

[/ QUOTE ]

La Mesa is such a shithole. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

lehighguy 09-07-2005 10:12 AM

When do you think the supreme court takes up gay marraige?

andyfox 09-07-2005 12:22 PM

Interesting, I heard on the radio this morning that when Arnold vetoes the bill he might say that it should be for the courts to decide, not the legislature. Isn't that the opposite of what many Republicans say on this issue?

lehighguy 09-07-2005 12:25 PM

Republicans aren't anything.

Also, that's a total cop out by Arnold. I'm kinduv dissapointed.

OtisTheMarsupial 09-07-2005 12:45 PM

This is good news. As a former Californian, this makes me proud of my birth state. I hope it doesn't get terminated.

STLantny 09-07-2005 01:10 PM

Can someone explain to me what this is all about? Is this the the normal procedure, after the 9th district vote got squelched or what? Can someone give me a timeline, and what operating procedures are? In Missouri, we voted on it directly (not reps), why are they not in California.

DVaut1 09-07-2005 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"There are a handful of issues where history will record where we were. This is one of them," said Thomas J. Umberg (D-Anaheim), who had abstained in a vote on the issue in June but voted yes on Tuesday night.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more with Jay LaSuer. I'll let the text that I bolded speak for itself.

Broken Glass Can 09-07-2005 01:32 PM

This is excellent. Just think what will happen:

When people next vote for their state reps in California, one of the things they will consider is Gay marriage, since it has been made an issue.

Don't think liberal states are immune from a voter backlash against state reps. Read about the Vermont backlash after they adopted civil unions.

Whether it becomes law or not, it will make it to a state referendum to give the people a chance to decide the issue.

Every state that has let the people vote has soundly defeated Gay marriage (something like 14 states so far).

Most hispanics are Catholic. The Democrats can't deceive them on this issue, expect the Dem/GOP split of hispanic votes to improve greatly for the GOP in California. This may mark the resurgence of the GOP in California.

It may seem cynical, but the best thing for GOP electoral success is to keep this issue alive. Thanks to the Democrats, this issue is now alive in California.

andyfox 09-07-2005 03:51 PM

I agree with you that it's a losing issue for Democrats. So why would they be pushing it? Could it be that they think it's the right thing to do?

Republicans are generally against gay marriage. Maybe they see it more politically than do Democrats?