Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   On or Off? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=407129)

highlife 12-29-2005 02:37 PM

Re: On or Off?

[ QUOTE ]
Leaving it on all the time, is usually better than turning it off/on too much, power surges contacts etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

it has nothing to do with power surges, it's mostly just the stress on the components (cpu, memory, motherboard) from warming up and then cooling back down (expansion and contraction of the metals and plastic).

mrkilla 12-29-2005 02:42 PM

its a loose example, I relaize and car needs fluids to run, clean oil etc etc

But the general theroy is that its more stress on a car/computer when you start then if you just left it running

pokerdirty 12-29-2005 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Leaving it on all the time, is usually better than turning it off/on too much, power surges contacts etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

it has nothing to do with power surges, it's mostly just the stress on the components (cpu, memory, motherboard) from warming up and then cooling back down (expansion and contraction of the metals and plastic).

[/ QUOTE ]

if anyone can confirm this, this guy should lose a star.

Duke 12-29-2005 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With that said, there really is no reason to leave a computer on all the time anymore, components are built much hardier now than they used to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell that to the Apple IIe that still worked when I gave it away last month.

~D

Songwind 12-29-2005 03:02 PM

Every time you power cycle your computer, the capacitors charge and discharge, which wears them out a bit faster.

I generally turn my computer off if I won't be using it for an extended period (say, going away for the weekend or very busy after work the next day) and otherwise just turn off my monitor.

pokerdirty 12-29-2005 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
With that said, there really is no reason to leave a computer on all the time anymore, components are built much hardier now than they used to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell that to the Apple IIe that still worked when I gave it away last month.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

why would you give that away?

12-29-2005 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if anyone can confirm this, this guy should lose a star.

[/ QUOTE ]

He is correct. But power surges, well releasing/charging capacitors (which is what I meant), also wears on things, as stated above.

Hiding 12-29-2005 03:10 PM

Typically the turning off and on will result in thermal stress on components. A componenet may be able to safely run at 100 degrees C but if run up to 100 and cooled to 20 then back up many times you will get die bond fractures (the wires frames connected to the silicon semi conductor seperate)

Thermal cycling will kill any active component at least 10 times faster than a constant temperature.

Easiest example, ever had a light bulb go out an hour after it was turned on? Its fails almost 100% of the time at turn on.

OtisTheMarsupial 12-29-2005 04:33 PM

Leave the main machine on all the time except when I leave town for a few days.

Laptop gets turned off about once a week.

12-29-2005 09:38 PM

Just curious. Is the computer similarly stressed when it hibernates and then you turn it on again? Also you guys are leaving it on standby when you say your leaving it on right?