Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   A laymen's look (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=395608)

12-10-2005 04:24 PM

A laymen\'s look

I have recently read a few books that give a great introduction to laymen in some areas of specialization. One is CHAOS Making A New Science by James Gleick. Black Holes & Time Warps, Einstein's Outrageous Legacy by Kip s. Thorne. Another is Isaac Asimov's The History of Physics. Finally I also read a few books on economics by Linda Mcquaig. They all dealt with entertaining and interesting explanations of of a complicated subject for laymen. Does anyone know of any other good books like this? That deal with a science or economics from a laymen's perspective? I felt they all were entertaining, interesting, not too dumbed down to make me feel like I was being spoonfed, but not too challenging to make me fall asleep / not understand.

Any other recommendations?

Matt R. 12-10-2005 04:26 PM

Re: A laymen\'s look

The one I always recommend to people is The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene. Phenomenal book, but it sounds like you've already read stuff regarding this area. Its emphasis is string theory and its consequences, and it builds up to it through relativity and quantum mechanics.

12-10-2005 04:29 PM

This is EXACTLY the sort of thing I am looking for, thank you. Other suggestions will still be accepted greatfully : )

12-10-2005 04:44 PM

Totally off the top of my head:

Evolution: The Blind Watchmaker (Dawkins). Mathematics: A Mathematician's Apology (Hardy) and The Mathematical Experience (Davis and Hersh). Linguistics: Words and Rules (Pinker). Cognitive Science: Society of Mind (Minsky), Vehicles (Braitenberg).

Lestat 12-10-2005 04:52 PM

I just finished "How the Mind Works", by Steven Pinker and found it to be a fascinating book!

Also "Philosophy for Dummies" was somewhat interesting, although I wouldn't recommend it unless you had a specific interest in the subject.

Thanks for your recommendations.

Borodog 12-10-2005 05:02 PM

Economics in One Lesson, Henry Hazlitt.

chezlaw 12-10-2005 08:33 PM

"Gödel, Escher, Bach - An Eternal Golden Braid" by Douglas R. Hofstadter

12-10-2005 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

****, I knew I missed something. That's one of my standard recommendations. I second Chezlaw.

imported_luckyme 12-10-2005 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I still sometimes read sections of it just for the pleasure of it. There are not many books a person can say this about - It was a mind-altering book for me ( not in the mescalinized way).

12-10-2005 09:31 PM

Whats this about? It seems to have popular demand.