Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Got stiffed on a tip tonight (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=358084)

Notorious G.O.B. 10-15-2005 05:11 AM

Re: Got stiffed on a tip tonight

It's just not worth it to get super pissed about something like this. Let it slide and be happy.

Blarg 10-15-2005 05:12 AM

That, unfortunately, we don't know. Das Leben sounds like a reasonable enough guy, but the idea that you should get tipped even if you don't do a good job isn't the kind of idea that comes out of someone who's motivated to do his best. I expect everybody I give money to to do a good job. That's what paying money is for.

Roybert 10-15-2005 05:18 AM

You are entirely right. It is natural for a server to take a stiff personally whether it was his fault or not (not that it was Das Leben's fault). I know what it feels like to be tipped inappropriately, and I think I assumed that Das was as well.

You are right, though, and at the end of the day I think it probably evens out.

Shillx 10-15-2005 05:23 AM

My two best friends both serve and we talk about this kind of thing all the time. The problem isn't so much that they stiffed you rather that you can't really do anything to figure out why. Some people will stiff b/c they don't know that tipping is ettiquite. Some people will stiff due to crappy service. The thing they get pissed at is when the manager bitches them out for asking why they got stiffed (via a comment card). I would like to know from the patrons if I'm doing a shitty job or if they didn't tip for some other reason. Anyways there are times that you get double gratted to make up for these types of things, so it all works out in the end.

Brad

private joker 10-15-2005 05:33 AM

Hmm, Brad brings up a good point -- it's very very rare that I don't tip, but when I do stiff, I should leave a card in the leather bill-holder with prepared type that says "I'm not tipping you because you sucked as a waiter." Then maybe I can leave some space blank on the card to add in any specifics like "it took forever to get a water refill; I was thirsty the whole meal."

That card would really help waiters understand why they were stiffed.

But I doubt I'd use it much. I don't expect to have my dick sucked when I eat out -- I just want to have things brought to me swiftly and then be left alone. Do the basics and you get at least 15%.

goofball 10-15-2005 05:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I make good enough money where I work

[/ QUOTE ]

The shut the [censored] up and stop complaining. Jesus christ people we live in a free market economy. Most of you live in at will employment states (employment can be terminated by either party, at any time, for any reason). If feel you can do better somewhere else do it. If not stop complaining. If I were [censored] I would ban you.

Roybert 10-15-2005 05:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, Brad brings up a good point -- it's very very rare that I don't tip, but when I do stiff, I should leave a card in the leather bill-holder with prepared type that says "I'm not tipping you because you sucked as a waiter." Then maybe I can leave some space blank on the card to add in any specifics like "it took forever to get a water refill; I was thirsty the whole meal."

That card would really help waiters understand why they were stiffed.

But I doubt I'd use it much. I don't expect to have my dick sucked when I eat out -- I just want to have things brought to me swiftly and then be left alone. Do the basics and you get at least 15%.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see your point but I disagree entirely. My feeling is that you can either criticize a waiter or stiff him, but not both. To leave a card explaining why the waiter sucked at his job(or even worse to explain why somebody else ruined his tip) while leaving him no money is to do nothing more than to rub salt in the wound.

If he gets stiffed he will know why 95% of the time.

siccjay 10-15-2005 05:47 AM

This is why I couldn't wait on people. I would have followed them outside and probably got my ass kicked.

2+2 wannabe 10-15-2005 05:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Shitty tipper Database

[/ QUOTE ]

This site is great - people bitching about 12% tips. Girls complaing that flirting is only getting them 10%. [censored] I hate some servers.

I was a damn good server, and it pissed me off when people left zero (I admit it). When someone left 5% or 10% it didn't piss me off at all - it's the customer's choice. 0% is unacceptable.

[censored] 10-15-2005 05:59 AM

I can understand being disappointed about not getting a tip on a check like but it seems like stuff like this comes with the territory of waiting tables at a place like Applebees. If you are a good waiter like you say then you should be able to find employment at a much better establishment where the customers are more likely to tip.

Also just a note- them note tipping you doesnt prove that they don't tip. It only proves they didn't tip you. For all we know you could have had a poor attitude or provided a low level of service. If your desires were to really follow them into the parking lot, I would suggest that this is at the very least possible.