Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Got stiffed on a tip tonight (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=358084)

DougShrapnel 10-15-2005 04:28 AM

Re: Got stiffed on a tip tonight

[ QUOTE ]
For all you people out there that "don't believe" in tipping servers, I wish you were all dead. No, seriously.

I was at work tonight, and was basically getting my ass handed to me by constant "big tops" of 8+ people. Normally I can handle these, but I had 2 of these types of tables going constantly for about 4 hours, plus the rest of my section was full. To top it all off, all of my tables were demanding as all [censored]. Typical friday night I guess.

So, as the dinner rush was winding down around 8pm, I get a group of 7 cowboys. No really, they were cowboys. This is northern AZ, afterall.

So, they rack up a pretty decent tab. They all got sirloin steaks, shrimp, and stuff like that. The ending tab: $102. I should have at least made $10 or so on the table, even if I didn't do a good job. Well, I did do a good job, and I didn't make $10. In fact, I got to the table, opened up the check presenter, and found nothing. I looked around the table (people oftentimes leave cash on the table), but found nothing there.

Literally, they left me $0 on a $102 ticket. It's not like I didn't give them good service. The service was fine. I consistently make 18-20% myself, so I know that I'm not a terrible server.

Well, this pissed me off to the point that I wanted to rush out to the parking lot and beat their asses. Really, it cost me $2 to work that table (I have to tip 2% of my sales to the hosts every night). What a bunch of fucktards. And as always, I have no recourse.

Oh, and it pissed me off so much that I found it necessary to post on OOT about it.

[/ QUOTE ]Get your place of employment to include a mandatory 15% gratuity on parties of 6 or more.

10-15-2005 04:36 AM

Why are you still working for tips? A bit of advice: Quit your crappy job, play poker online full time and make MAD loot.

SCfuji 10-15-2005 04:41 AM

this is terrible. is there anything you can do? have you seen these guys before?

Blarg 10-15-2005 04:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No, there's no "should" have gotten X amount even if you didn't do your job well. It's a gratuity -- not required. It must be earned. Service comes with the meal, and it's free. Good service is optional, but so is a good tip. It's a relationship thingy.

[/ QUOTE ]

To me, this argument is BS because if everyone decided that they just weren't going to tip they would have to pay a lot more for the food. So by not tipping you are just freeloading off of the good tippers.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mistake it for an argument, which is the problem in the first place. It is not an argument. It is a fact.

It's simply not up to the waitperson what he gets tipped. That decision gets made either by management or the customer, or both. On a side note, I'd suggest not working at a place that pays $2.13 an hour, if you're sensitive about it. It's the very essence of the job that it's a gamble, and you shouldn't play at stakes that don't appeal to you.

The best thing for a waitperson to do is drop the attitude and give good service. It's not a job with a guarantee, at least not at every establishment, but the best way to tilt the odds in your favor is to concentrate on your part of the deal, providing the good service, not walking around with a chip on your shoulder or thoughts of what you're "owed."

Doing a poor job in other professions gets you fired. Doing a poor job as a waitperson just gets you stiffed. Consider yourself lucky.

Jules22 10-15-2005 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's not our responsibility to pay your bills, nor our fault you make a [censored]*y wage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it's exactly your fault, whether or not you choose to believe it. The federal government classifies me as a tipped employee, and thus can pay me $2.13/hr, considering tipping servers is customary.

[ QUOTE ]
Besides, what cheap-azz place do you work where 7 men can all get steaks for $100???

[/ QUOTE ]

Applebee's. Not exactly a steakhouse.

[ QUOTE ]
And why doesn't your place of business automatically place a tip surcharge on all parties over 7, like most restaurants do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only parties 8+.

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, Sparky....I understand your pissed-off and you work hard - but if it bothers you that much, get a better job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I make good enough money where I work. How? 99% of people that come in realize that they need to tip the waitstaff. You're apparently the 1% that hasn't been taught proper restaurant etiquette.

Oh, and do you know what happens when someone comes in and doesn't tip, even though the service was good? Our general manager comes out and bans them from the restaurant.

Don't be a tool. Tip your servers.

[/ QUOTE ]

i used to be a server, this guy doesnt speak for most tipped employees. i definitely cannot envision a manager coming out and banning someone for not tipping, that sounds like a total garbage made up lie.

DasLeben 10-15-2005 04:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i used to be a server, this guy doesnt speak for most tipped employees. i definitely cannot envision a manager coming out and banning someone for not tipping, that sounds like a total garbage made up lie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe this wasn't policy where you worked, but hey, there are more restaurants out there than where you worked. Most of them have differing policies. Yes, our managers WILL ban people from the restaurant if they come in and repeatedly (I should have clarified) do not tip the waitstaff.

And what's this about me "not speaking for most tipped employees"? I'd like to hear from other servers and get their take on things. I'd be willing to bet that most here would side with what I've said.

Blarg 10-15-2005 04:50 AM

I'd welcome the chance to speak with a manager about why his waitperson was not worth tipping.

whiskeytown 10-15-2005 04:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, our managers WILL ban people from the restaurant if they come in and repeatedly (I should have clarified) do not tip the waitstaff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I gotta ask my applebee's bartender/manager friend if this is true -

I was always at least 15% - and it came back to me in the form or longer pours and the occasional freebie.

and SINCE we're on the topic - since apparently it is discretionary to tip, I would certainly say it's discretionary for the place to serve them - [censored] em. -

until State Legislatures stop the mandatory taxing of tips whether received or not, I'd say every server is totally within their right to refuse service to a cheapskate. -

like Jihadontheriver.

RB

Boris 10-15-2005 05:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They all [7 cowboys] got sirloin steaks, shrimp, and stuff like that. The ending tab: $102.

[/ QUOTE ]

holy smokes that's a cheap restaurant. sucks you got stiffed. effin cowboys man.

Roybert 10-15-2005 05:08 AM

Dude, I waited for 13 years on and off (starting when I was 14). This sucks.

The only advice I can give is for you to take a mental picture and hope and pray you get the chance to wait on them again. It's got nothing to do with you.